chapter two -:- safe in your arms

"Hey, DJ. Simon's calling us for the meeting," Normani said, entering one of the studios that her wife was working on a track in.

"Coming," Dinah mumbled, saving her work before she unplugged her laptop and reached for her phone.

Just as she grabbed the device its screen lit up with Maywood Academy.

"It's the girls' school."

"Answer it," Normani encouraged. The school hardly called the women, so to receive a call at 10am was quite nerve-wracking. What if one of their daughters got hurt or into trouble?

"This is Dinah Kordei-Hansen," Dinah answered, chewing her lip apprehensively.

"Ms. Kordei-Hansen, this is Ms. Turner."

"Hello, Ms. Turner. Is everything alright?"

"There's been an accident at school. Your daughter, Camila, got hit in the head with a basketball and passed out."

"Is she okay?" Dinah asked, making Normani's eyes widen.

"What? Who's 'she'? What happened? Dinah. Which kid?" Normani demanded as she approached her wife and hit her arm for a response.

Dinah glared at her wife's assault as the principle responded.

"She's awake, and responsive. She doesn't seem too out of it and is claiming that her head is fine, but myself and Ms. Lawrence agree that she should take the rest of the day off and see a doctor to see if she got a concussion."

"Of course. One of us will get her right away," Dinah promised, pushing Normani away who was threatening to snatch the phone from her.

"Perfect. She'll be sitting in the front office with her stuff."

"Thank you, Ms. Turner."

Dinah hung up her phone and grabbed the hand of her wife that was whacking her shoulder repeatedly.

"Jesus woman."

"What happened? Who's hurt?"

"Camila got hit in the head with a basketball. She passed out but woke up and is saying that she's fine."

"Oh man," Normani sighed, rubbing her forehead. "Okay. Why don't you go for the meeting since you've been working with the artists more than I have and I'll go get Mila and take her to the ER."

"Why the ER? Just take her to the family doctor."

"No way. If she's concussed I don't want to wait for an appointment sometime this week. Better safe than sorry."

"Fair enough. Have fun at the hospital," Dinah teased, pressing a kiss to her wife's lips before she moved to leave the recording room.

Normani followed her wife out and went a different direction to get back to her office to grab her stuff.

In two minutes she was down at her car and pulling away from the SYCO parking lot. Even if the school didn't call saying that it was urgent and that Camila was really injured, Normani couldn't help but feel the need to get there as soon as possible and check for herself. Camila was her baby after all.

~.~.~

"Mila," Normani breathed when she walked into the main office and saw her daughter sitting on one of the couches, still dressed in her gym clothes. The girl was playing on her phone, looking completely normal, which was a relief to the mother who spent her whole car ride stressing over the well being of her little girl. "You okay, baby?"