chapter ten -:- what's best

"You swear you can't see the bandages?" Camila asked as she adjusted her hair over her shoulders.

It was Monday and she insisted on going to school so she could have lunch with her new friend. Dinah and Normani insisted that the girl stay home another day, but she begged and pleaded, insisting that this was her first friend ever and that she wanted to make it last.

So finally, after much convincing and the promise from both Lauren and Ally that they'd check up on their sister every hour, Normani and Dinah relented.

Now the girl stood at the full-length mirror of Lauren's room, her eyes scanning over the black turtleneck she wore that hugged her skinny frame.

"Yes, Camzi. You look great," Lauren said honestly as she slipped on her jean jacket.

"You guys ready?" Ally asked, popping her head into the room as she fixed an earring on her left ear.

"Yeah. Is mom driving us?"

"No. She said I could take her car and she'll ride with mom to the studio," Ally explained, shaking the keys to the dark grey Mercedes convertible parked in the garage.

"Ally, can you see my bandages?" Camila asked, turning to her oldest sister.

"Nope. I can't see a thing," the girl promised, making Camila's tense shoulders relax a bit.

"Okay. Good."

"I get that you feel self-conscious or whatever, but why can't Ariana know about this?" Lauren asked as she grabbed her bag. She quickly grabbed Camila's from the ground as well before her sister could argue.

"Because," Camila said with a shrug, as though that would be enough explanation.

The three sisters made their way down the stairs where both Dinah and Normani were preparing to leave the house.

"Mila, baby, are you sure you want to go?" Normani asked for the millionth time that morning.

"Yes. I promise to call if I don't feel good," Camila said, making her mother nod. "Alright. I'm trusting you here, kid. Lo, Ally, please watch her for me and mama."

"Of course," Ally said as she pressed a kiss to Normani's cheek and then Dinah's. "We'll take care of her."
~.~.~

"Dinah-Jane!"

Dinah froze before entering the meeting room, her head turning to see Becky practically fuming.

"Hey, B. What's up?" She asked, scratching the back of her neck nervously. She knew her best friend probably got the news that her album was being handed off to another producer, something that would definitely make the short woman livid.

"Care to explain why they fuck my producers decided to drop me on my ass?"

"Look, Mani and I meant to talk to you in person. We didn't know they would be informing everyone so soon-,"

"This has never happened before, though? Is it because of Lauren and Lucy-?"

"What?"

"They'll work it out. You can't just hand me off to someone else. Not without talking to me first. You and Mani have produced every single one of my albums."

"What happened to Lauren and Lucy?" Dinah asked, completely unaware of her daughter's recent 'break-up'.

"Hey, is everything alright?" Normani asked, walking into the conversation.

"No! You and Dinah dropped me!" Becky said, making the darker woman frown.

"They told you already?"