chapter four -:- worth it

"Hey, Camzi," Lauren popped her head into her little sister's room and smiled widely.

"Hey," Camila greeted, sitting up in her bed, which caused Ringo to stir next to her and cuddle closer. "How was school?"

"Boring, as usual. I was wondering if you wanted to make some cookies or something with me?"

"Where's mama?" Camila asked, pulling her bedhead into a ponytail.

"She had to swing down to the studio to help mom with something. She'll be back in an hour."

"And Ally?"

"She's watching a movie with Troy in the living room."

"Why don't you invite Lucy?"

"Because I want to hang out with you. Now, are you going to stop giving me the third degree and join me downstairs?" Lauren asked with a laugh, making her sister smile.

"Sure. Can I pick the recipe?"

"Maybe. Depends on what you have to offer," Lauren said.

"Rock, paper, scissors. Winner gets to pick the recipe," Camila decided, getting out of bed and going up to her sister. They loudly called out the words before presenting their hands.

Lauren had rock.

Camila had paper.

"Yes!" The thirteen-year-old cheered, practically skipping out of the room. Lauren rolled her eyes and followed after her. One day she'd tell her that she'd caught onto her habit of always doing paper first. For now she was just happy to make her little sister smile.

~.~.~

"Camila, for the millionth time, stop getting shells in the dough," Lauren groaned, starting to fish through the slimy yoke for the small piece of shell that fell in.

"Relax. It's not that bad. If anything, it provides a little crunch," Camila defended, washing her hands in the sink after she tossed the eggshells.

"That's disgusting," Lauren said, rolling her eyes before she triumphantly pulled out the bit of shell she was struggling to get.

"What are you guys doing in here?" Ally asked, walking into the kitchen with Troy close behind.

"Making cookies," Camila replied with a wide smile, starting up the mixer so it could blend the wet ingredients.

"Great. There's like no food in this house," Ally said, rummaging through the cupboard momentarily. "Babe, are you good with bread?" She asked, looking to Troy and offering a loaf of bread.

"Umm..." the boy said unsurely, furrowing his eyebrows at the question.

"Stop being so dramatic," Lauren said, snatching the bread from her sister and tossing it back in the cupboard. "There's chips above the fridge."

"Who the hell puts all the good stuff up here? I can hardly reach it!" Ally said, flailing her arm above her in hopes of reaching the handle to the cupboard over the fridge. Troy rolled his eyes and assisted his girlfriend, grabbing the bag of Doritos before shutting it again.

"This is why I date you. So you can get the things that are too high up for me."

Troy laughed at the comment and kissed her briefly before looking to Lauren.

"Hey, so a buddy of mine asked if you wanted to come to my party this Saturday."

"What?" Both Ally and Lauren asked in unison.