Chapter Two

Lamprey tugged at the coral, widening the opening into the cave. Barnacle had found a few good-sized caves under another part of the reef a fair distance from their old home, and now they were pulling at the coral to make it more hospitable.

Lamprey gave the coral a sharp yank, and a piece broke loose, drifting down to the ocean floor. He stuck his head through the hole he had created and looked around. The cave was large, extending back into the coral. He pulled his head back out, and an idea struck him. If they broke through the bottom of the coral overhang to get to the cave, would it be less visible to any dragon swimming by?

He swam away from the coral and tapped Seagull's shoulder. He explained his idea to the older SeaWing, who nodded and moved to the underside of the overhang. The two of them pulled at the coral until a large hole yawned from the underside of the coral. Lamprey swam out from under the coral and eyed the reef from above. He couldn't even see Seagull's pale shape through the coral.

At that thought, Lamprey remembered the scale he had found among the coral at his old home. It was a pale color, but not blue like Seagull's. The one he had found was a light green.

Lamprey noticed a movement out of the corner of his eye. He turned to see his parents swimming back through the water, lugging two large fish with them. Lamprey waved a wing, and Reef waved back. The food was a welcome break from the work of clearing away the coral. Lamprey gulped down the last of the fish and swam into the rough coral cave. Their new home needed some improving, but he would see it finished.