Chapter Three

"Mother, I need to tell you something," Lamprey began.

It had been a year since they had completed the work on their new home, and Lamprey had become comfortable in the waters around it. He knew his way around and had memorized the surrounding landmarks. He felt safe there, but he knew the chaos in the kingdom had continued. The violence had not died down. There were more and more dragons who did not believe the queen cared for them. Lamprey didn't know what could be done, but he felt he had to do something anyway.

"I'm going to go to the Summer Palace to meet with the queen," he told Reef. "I want to tell her what happened to us."

"No, Lamprey," Reef said adamantly. "It's too dangerous. You'll be killed."

"Mother, I'm a dragonet. Violence or no violence, why would anyone kill a dragonet? We're not at war. If I just look innocent and nonthreatening, why would a dragon want to kill me?"

Reef still looked skeptical. "Say that you're right. Say that you won't be killed between here and the Summer Palace. What could you achieve? Queen Dolphin must know about the unrest in the kingdom, How could she not? What can you tell her that she won't already know?"

"Maybe she thinks the chaos is only near the palace. Or maybe she doesn't know how bad it is. At the very least, I'll learn something."

"Look," Lamprey said at his mother's expression. "Queen Dolphin has dragonets, doesn't she? And I'm a dragonet, too. Maybe, I don't know, it'll seem more real to her if she hears it from another dragonet. Two days to the Palace. Maybe a day or two while I wait to see the queen. Two days back. That's all. Mother, I'm more likely to get there unseen, and even if I am seen, what would anyone want with me?"

"He has a point, Reef," Octopus' deep voice rumbled. "He may be young, but he's as capable as many dragons I know. And, who knows? Maybe the queen will listen to him."

"But he won't be safe," Reef argued.

"He's a dragonet," Octopus replied. "Dragonets always look more innocent than adult dragons. He won't look like a threat. I feel like half these attacks are out of fear. Dragons attack each other out of fear of what will happen if they don't. Lamprey is young enough to not incite that fear, yet old enough to be listened to. He'll be fine, Reef. I believe in him."

"All right," Reef conceded, though she still looked uncomfortable. "Lamprey, when did you plan to leave?"

"Tomorrow," Lamprey answered. "Tomorrow morning."

"Very well, then," Octopus replied. "Tomorrow it is. I wish you luck."