Chapter Seven

Stingray eyed Lamprey. You were thinking of selling us out to Dolphin, were you?

Lamprey was shocked. No! Your Majesty, why would I? The queen is a fool, a weakling! She can't even protect her own kingdom. Why would I choose her over you?

Stingray glared at Lamprey, his scales dark. Lamprey shifted nervously. His hind leg was still leashed to the rock in the cave. If Stingray attacked, he wouldn't be able to escape.

Did you think I wouldn't find out? Stingray's scales flashed menacingly. You're exactly the kind of dragon my sister would recruit as a spy. Coming from nothing, no future. What would you have to lose?

Let me tell you something, traitor, Stingray flashed. He reached forward, his talons closing around Lamprey's throat just below his jaw. A dragon always has something to lose.

My king, Lamprey said, grasping wildly for something that would save him. My loyalty is to you. You were right, my old life was nothing. I had no purpose. Nothing to fight for. I was living under a pathetic queen. Now, I would fight for you, give my life for you. Your Majesty, why would you mistrust me?

Stingray studied Lamprey for a moment, then released him. A ghost of a satisfied smile flickered across his face.

Well done, he told Lamprey, releasing him.

Lamprey frowned. Sorry?

That was a test. You've proven your loyalty. I will admit I was skeptical at first.

Stingray untied the rope from Lamprey's hind leg. Your training starts tomorrow morning.

Stingray left the cave, and Lamprey released a sigh of relief. After several months of pretending to be loyal to Stingray, he had been terrified at the thought that he might have been discovered.

He stretched his hind leg, smiling at the fact that the rope was gone. He was free, and all he had to do was wait for an opportunity to escape...