29🌺: Petal to the Metal

Ebony|E 🦋

He turned to me and tilted his head, looking up and down the empty hotel hallway.

"Aight, listen. We leave out together and they suspect some'. You gotta leave before me, ma. White Chevy pickup in spot 6. Get in the passenger's seat—unless you wanna drive." He raised an eyebrow at me.

"No, thank you." I chuckled. He handed me the keys.

"Aight then, imma be out in a minute." I nodded and turned around, only to be tugged back. He moved my hair out of my face with one hand and then tilted my chin up a little. He kissed my forehead and pulled back, glancing to look me up and down.

"Glad you're safe." He said lowly. I gave him a small smile before continuing my walk to the car. I got on the elevator and walked out. I took in a sharp breath. It was pitch black on the other side of the glass wall. I began to walk towards the door.

"Excuse me, Miss?" I gulped at the empty lobby.

"Yes?" I turn around and give the secretary a big smile.

"Are you checking out?" She glances down at my duffel bag.

"No." I simply say. She nods, looking confused. I nod back, continuing to the door.

"Have a good night!" She called after me.

"You too!" I wave, finally get out the door. The cool air brushed over me, making me shiver. I closed my thin jacket and scanned the parking lot for the truck. I finally spotted it, jogging over to it. I unlocked it and threw my bag in the back. I turned the heat up full blast and locked the doors, wishing Tay would hurry up. I looked at the time to see that it was 1 o'clock. The door open and shut, making me become alert.

"Damn, you that cold?" He grumbled as he threw the car into gear and sped out of the parking lot. Taymor drove recklessly and that's why he didn't drive a lot.

"Where you get the truck?"

"Kel's daddy don't drive it nomo." He said, clicking the navigation button of the screen. He made the route flip backwards.

"I had do a lil stakeout to see when ya dad was gone leave. I was thinking that I was gone be waiting a long ass time, but he came out bout thirty minutes ago and hauled ass."

"How did you know what room I was in and how the hell did you get in it?" I had a lot of questions.

"The front desk girl a sucker for a sob story..." he smirked. "My girlfriend left her insulin in my car—I drove all the way here to give it to her! Wahh, wahh, wahh!" He smiled deviously.

"You going to hell. She gave you a room key?"

"Nah, she said I was gone have to knock. They insulted my intelligence with that easy shit." He sighed, dropping the screwdriver in my lap.

"Damn." I blew, thinking about the fact that you had to have a key card. He slowed down at the sight of the intersection.

"He was planning on taking you to a small town in Tennessee." He blew. "I saw it in his text records."

"What town?" I asked, biting my lip.

"He ain't pick one yet. He was talking about Lynchburg, Nolensville, and some super small ass towns. Like he mentioned some villages-towns that I looked up that had like 500 people living there. I'm like, 'holy shit, he really tryna push her off the face of the Earth!'."

"What the fuck?" I practically yell. He shrugged.

"He said he did it because of me." I looked over at him and tried to analyze his face as it was illuminated by street lights for milliseconds.

"Ion know, I'd act a fool if my daughter was wit' somebody like me." He admitted.

"Somebody like you? You mean caring and amazing?" He smirked a little, but then it faded away.

"All your dad sees is a drug deala." He mumbles.

"Because my dad doesn't look for anything else." I put a hand on his leg. "Learn from him." He was quiet for a while.

"What made you want me?" He flicks my earlobe with his finger as we travel down a backroad. It took a while for me to gather the words for it.

"You...were like a puzzle, and I wanted to solve you. Some days you come mad at the world, others you come happy as hell and you hella moody." He busted out laughing.

"Girl, I am not moody!"

"Yes you are! I remember one time, you was cursing everybody out for the stupidest shit. Then, I asked you some shit and you was just a-giggly and smilely..." He started laughing as I explain.

"I was feeling you." He states while laughing.

"Still bipolar." I was cut off by my phone ringing. I looked at Tay with worried eyes once I saw that my dad was calling.

"It's him." My voice was small.

"Answer it." He mumbled right before the navigation system instructed him to merge onto the highway.

"Ebony, where the fuck you at and why the fuck is the hotel door knob broken off?"

"Not going to Tennessee, and take that up with the hotel. Faulty doorknobs?" I say, being funny.

"Oh, you Ms. Funny Bone, huh? Don't let me catch you or him."

"Don't worry, you won't."

"Gimme the phone." Tay orders, reaching out for it. I let it hit his palm, then press speaker.

"What's the issue, Mr.Keys?" He asks politely.

"Boy, when I catch you imma kill you." Tay chuckles.

"Oh, Mr. Keys—don't say that. I believe that's a threat. I don't take threats too lightly." He sounded like he had jumped straight off a movie screen. He was all calm and collected, like my dad wasn't hunting us.

"It ain't no threat—that's a promise."

"A promise?" He repeats back, licking his lips. "Sounds like a challenge to me." He sat up straighter, maneuvering the car to pass a slow vehicle.

"In that case, sir..." He voice became harsh with his next words. "You better bring your fuckin' all into this shit. And that metal. You know why?" The line was silent for a while.

"Why, boy?"

"I like a little challenge."