2.1 - Adelgrate Cavalry and the Lost Boy

The first time a girl named Sakura wandered into this world, it was on a certain day of the year when Vioce Clendyne and Louis Aven were 12 years old.

***

Adelgrate Cavalry. It is the only school built by the country to nurture knights. The school founded to raise knights was secretly located in the forest near the capital. There, boys that excelled in various skill such as swordsmanship, archery, javelins, and horse-riding, were gathered. They worked hard everyday.

Vioce Clendyne and Louis Aven were enrolled at the age of eight. In a place to learn various skills and knowledge, waiting for them was a demon instructor and their unique classmates. In Adelgrate, not only can they hone their skills, they can also learn about the rich history of the kingdoms, whether it's about historical figures, culture, religion, or even mannerisms and how to treat women. There are no bounds.

In addition, although not for becoming a knight, but rather to "learn various things together with those of the same age", the prince of the kingdom and the son of the Duke were also living at Adelgrate. Inside the school, treatment of all statuses was equal. Nobleman, who were unused to living without servants, eventually got used to it, enjoying an "everyday" life with boys of similar age.

Vioce and Louis did not get along. However, despite hating each other, they tolerated each other's existence in the same school. These two people found Sakura on their way home, after the Master of Swords, Winzel, told them to pick up some supplies from town.

While in town, the boys lost track of time, shopping for this and that. If they didn't make it back before curfew, they would surely be scolded by Winzel. The two boys started to head back to the dormitory quickly. Walking along the road, they tried to make small talk with each other, but were unable to find common ground. They gazed at each other in understanding and returned to silence.

On the way home, they found "them". From the beginning, they thought it was boy from the city who had gotten lost in the forest. Bruised and covered in dirt, the area around his knee was wounded. He wore a loose shirt, probably a size bigger than him. They thought it was a poor boy who couldn't pay to repair his trousers or afford a coat. When the boy saw them, he jumped up quickly and cried out "Hey." The voice was high pitched and didn't sound like it had went through puberty.

"Excuse me, do you know where this is?" He anxiously looked into their eyes, Louis and Vioce blinked at each other, then looked at the boy. This was a forest near the capital, they thought he was looking for the name of the forest, but it wasn't that sort of atmosphere. They wondered whether or not he was lost. Looking closely, the boy was not wearing shoes either. Pitying his poor appearance, Louis takes out a pair of socks he bought in the city. There were many scratches on his feet, made by branches and grass.

"Are you lost?" when Louis asked, the boy looked around before replying "Yes, it seems like it?" in embarrassment. For the time being, he gave him the socks, the boy looked surprised before smiling.

"Thank you, I really appreciate it!" He bows his head, Louis lets out a small laugh. He could see that the boy was very grateful for the gift. Proudly, he looked at the boy putting on socks. They were a little big, but it was in a tolerable range. The boy who finished wearing the socks turned his head, his face shy.

"Thank you, and sorry... I suddenly appeared in such a place without my shoes." They did not understand what he meant by 'suddenly appeared', perhaps he was lost while picking berries or something. Louis stared blankly and glanced at Vioce. There was just a little while before sunset, but if they escorted the boy to the city, they would arrive back at the school during the night. They would definitely get punished by Winzel for sure, they didn't plan to risk it for a strange boy. In the first place there was only one way to the town. He just had to follow the road. After telling him this, he became embarrassed.