SPY (#itmusthavebeenlove)

1

1

"She must be here somewhere," a gruff male voice said.

"She could not have gone too far," another man commented.

"Comb the area if you have to. That girl should not escape," the leader barked commands.

I could hear the sound of heavy boots above me, which reverberated throughout the hollow tunnel of the underground sewer. It was pitch dark but I didn't dare put on my flash light.

When the sound of the shoes faded, I climbed up the iron rungs. Very cautiously, I lifted the grill of the manhole and peeped out.

There was none around. I scrambled up and started running in the opposite direction.

"There she is," someone shouted as I felt flashlights dart in my direction.

I quickened up my pace. They should not catch me at any cost.

Breathless I ran on through the empty streets with the enemy close on pursuit. My lungs were bursting with the stress of the run.

My hands and feet were scraped from the numerous falls. Yet I ran on.

Suddenly to my utter horror, I tripped on something lying on the ground and lost my footing. I tumbled head-on onto the ground and muttered a curse.

Something quivered under my leg and I peered down at the black draped obstruction on the road.

The bundle of rags moaned in a weak voice.

It was a man!

The ground was covered with thick black liquid. As I looked at my hands, I gasped as I realized it was blood.

I froze.

There was a man before me, whose precious lifeblood was flowing on the streets.

I swiftly glanced in the direction of my pursuers, before kneeling down and feeling his back. There was a fresh gunshot wound and as my fingers touched it, blood oozed out from the gaping hole in his torso.

"Christ! You are wounded," I exclaimed as the person on the ground extended a blood stained hand at me.

I caught hold of his hand to try to heave him up. He was heavy and extremely weak. I could hear the shouts of our pursuers. I knew carrying him would slow me down, but did I have any choice?

But just as I looked into his eyes, I almost dropped him in surprise.

"Damn," I mumbled to myself, "Not again..."

All the hate I felt for that one person seemed to well up from the core of my heart. My first instinct was to leave him where he was. He deserved this for what he had done.

But my duty towards a fellow citizen made me reconsider my decision.

He stared at me in the same way as recognition flooded into him.