BREAKING FREE~~(If I could, I would)

"You can do it," I say to myself, "Just one more step and you'll be free

"You can do it," I say to myself, "Just one more step and you'll be free."

The rays of the sun beckon to me. It is just on the other side of the curtain, the curtain of silk, the curtain of bondage.

I listen for the sounds of laughter from within the kitchen. Amma is busy cooking with Fatimah's assistance.

This is my perfect chance to slip away. But what if I actually do? I can't come back to this house ever. I won't come back to this prison.

What if they beat me and drag me home?

But I have to take the risk. I need to snatch away my freedom, my life from their hands.

I take a deep breath and step out.

The sun blinds me. I look at my arms. My skin glows with renewed life. I have never seen the sun.

Ever confined to her house, behind the 'purdah', forced to do household chores, and married off at the age of 14, is what life means for girls of my family.

But I am different, I am an adventurer. I'm never afraid to take risks.

I flip back my 'hijab', throw away my 'burkha'. I open my hair to feel the winds ruffle them, caress them... Life is calling me.

Suddenly I am reminded of the time when I had, as a child ran out of the house behind one of my brothers. My veil had come off loose. Abba spotted me, caught me by my hair, dragged me into the kitchen and locked me there.

When the heat from the hearth grew too much and I couldn't bear it any more. I screamed and banged on the door. My mother cried from the other side, but Abba had the keys.

When I was finally let out, I had a fever for a whole week. My mother sat still beside me for days.

"What did I do wrong," I had asked.

"You are doomed by birth," She had whispered, "Tamanna, never ever go out, never ever uncover your head."

I am so lost in my reminiscence of the past, that I don't notice Aslam standing there.

He stares at me like he had seen a ghost.

Oh shit!

I look away before he can start analyzing who I am, and quicken my pace.

Once I am out of sight, I start running, running towards freedom.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Panting, I enter through the iron gates of the simple whitewashed building. With pounding heart, I walk up to the desk at the office.

The man looks up, a frown on his face.

"Here's the admission form. I want to study in this school," I assert.

I come out, clutching a card to my chest, my admission slip. I look at it proudly and stalk off to find an accommodation.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I wake up in a dark room. It was all a dream.

If I could, I would go on that adventure called life. But I'm still bound by patriarchal chains.

500 words completed.

A/N For the If I could, I would contest by adventure
Thanks to everyone for reading... Hope you like this.

Your valuable feedback is appreciated..