Chapter 6

“Does it hurt?” (Y/n) asked as she ran her fingers over the healing wound on Cas’s shoulder. His grace would heal a lot of things, but a wound dealt by an angel blade didn’t heal so easily. And it would scar badly. Cas watched her gently trace the jagged wound with her fingers.

“Sometimes.” Cas said. “I’ll forget about it and overwork it.” (Y/n) set up, the blanket falling away from her body as she leaned over to gently kiss it. He ran his hand down her back, taking in her own scars. A bite from a black dog, a few claw marks, and ones from being thrown around by demons. She looked into his eyes and smiled, but he could see tears forming. He cupped her cheek and swiped a tear away. “What is it?”

“I’m scared.” She whispered. “What if this baby opens another tear and Lucifer gets out? Or something worse comes over here? Azazel could come back. Or the Leviathans. Lilith. Ruby. I have a list.”

“Shhh.” Cas pulled her back down to lay on his chest. “Nothing bad is going to happen.”

“You don’t know for sure.” (Y/n) said. “We’ve only witnessed Jack’s birth. And that didn’t exactly end up well for a lot of people.” Cas sighed and pulled her closer to his side.

“As long as it’s not the offspring of an archangel, you should be fine.” Cas tried to reassure her, but he knew that it probably wouldn’t do much good. He just held her close to him, her head nestled under his chin. “Why don’t you just close your eyes and rest? We’ll head to the doctor soon to find out the gender.” (Y/n) was silent for a second, but Cas could tell something was on her mind. “What is it?”

“Nothing.” She said quietly.

“(Y/n)…” Cas said soothingly. She shook softly.

“What if they try to kill the baby?” She whispered.

“Who?” Cas asked.

“The angels wanted this baby for a reason. So, what if…what if the demons want it dead. Or what if the Winchester’s thing that…that the baby couldn’t be trusted.” She said softly. Cas felt a little anger. At how Dean had treated Jack. At the things that had been said right in front of (Y/n). At everything that had come out of this. The only good thing Cas could see was laying in his arms.

“I won’t let anything happen.” Cas promised. “I will never let anything happen to you.”

****

“Cas! (Y/n)! Jack! We’re back.” Dean called out as they made their way into the bunker a couple days later. Jack was sitting at a table, reading a comic book. Sam walked up to him.

“Watchya reading?” Sam asked. Jack held up a Batman comic that (Y/n) had bought him at a thrift store. “Oh, I was more into Superman as a kid. But I think that Dean really enjoyed Batman.” He looked around. “Where’s (Y/n) and Cas?”

“They went to pick something up.” Jack explained. “(Y/n) had a doctor’s appointment yesterday and ordered something from a bakery afterwards.” Dean and Sam looked at each other. They were about to say something when the bunker door opened and Cas and (Y/n) walked in. Cas was carrying a white box while (Y/n) carried a bag with some markers and other miscellaneous things in it.

“Sam! Dean!” Cas said. “Welcome home.” (Y/n) seemed a little hesitant around them. Normally, she would run up and hug both of them, but now, she seemed like she wanted to take a step away from them.

“Everything okay?” Dean asked, looking at (Y/n). Maybe something had happened while they were gone…

“Oh, everything’s fine.” She said, finally smiling and hugging them. “I’m glad you guys are home. This wasn’t something that I wanted to do over Skype.”

“Doing what?” Sam asked. (Y/n) just smiled and went with Cas to the kitchen.

“You guys go clean up while I get set up!” She called out to them. “We’re having dinner and playing a game.” Sam and Dean looked at each other, but Jack was happy. He loved games.

****

“Okay, what’s going on?” Dean asked as he took a piece of pizza. (Y/n) stood by the large white board and drew a line down the middle. On one side she wrote Boy, and on the other, she wrote Girl.

“Names.” She said. “Throw me some names for me to write on the board.”

“Mary.” Sam said.

“Kelly.” Jack added.

“Angus.” Dean added. (Y/n) rolled her eyes. She wrote all the names on the board as they came to her. Finally, once they had a decent amount of names, they started a game of MASH. Taking turns, they counted the amount they had settled on and crossed the name out until one name was left on each list.

“So, for boys we have James.” (Y/n) said, smiling over at Cas for a second. “And for girls, we have Layla.” Dean put his feet up on the table in front of him.

“So we just have to wait until the little sucker comes out, right?” He asked. (Y/n) shook her head.

“Is this what your doctor’s appointment was about?” Sam asked. (Y/n) smiled. Cas got up and brought the white box in and set it on the table. (Y/n) got plates.

“Who wants some cake?” She asked. Her and Cas didn’t even know what the baby was yet. They wanted to be surprised along with their friends. Carefully, (Y/n) cut the cake and looked at Cas. He nodded, encouraging her. She slowly lifted the piece and placed it on a plate.

It was pink.