Chapter 10

It wasn’t long after Sam called that (Y/n) screamed out and doubled over. It felt like she was being clawed from the inside. Sam ran back to her, helping her to her feet. He wasn’t sure where to take her so she could give birth. Her bedroom was the best bet, but he needed to change the sheets to a set of bloodstained ones that they used to cover the tables in the library when one of them was injured but couldn’t lay on a bed. Memory foam wasn’t exactly good when you had a really bad bleed that needed stitched up.

“Okay, (Y/n), Cas and Dean will be here any minute. They were just on their way back. I’m going to go get the old sheets for your bed.” He set her in a chair in her room. “Jack!” Jack quickly appeared in the doorway. His eyes were wide from the feeling in the air. “I need you to stay with her, okay. I’ll be right back.” Jack nodded and went to (Y/n).

“Jack, it hurts. It hurts.” She whimpered.

“I’m so sorry (Y/n).” Jack said. He tried to tap into his powers to help ease her pain, but he was coming up short. Sam came back then and made quick work of stripping her nice sheets off and replacing them with what could only be described as Civil War era bandages. “What now Sam?”

“Uh, I guess she needs to take her pants and underwear off before she gets on the bed.” Sam said, running his fingers through his hair in a nervous habit. Jack looked at him.

“She does that in front of us?” He asked. Sam laughed nervously.

“Jack, there’s going to be a lot done in front of us. Welcome to your sex ED crash course.” Sam offered his arm to (Y/n) so she could stand and take off those clothes. The shirt she was wearing was long and baggy, so it made it like she was in a hospital gown. “I wish Dr. Robert was here. I thought he was coming in today.”

“You and me both.” (Y/n) growled. Sam went to leave again. “Where are you going?”

“I’m going to get candles. We can’t have any more broken glass around a newborn or any open part of you.” Sam said. (Y/n) nodded.

“Good idea.” She said as she laid on the bed. Jack draped an old blanket of her to keep her warm until it was time to start pushing. “Jack, where’s my husband?”

“He’ll be here. Want me to go look for him and Dean?” He asked. She shook her head and reached out a hand to him.

“Please don’t go. I need someone.” She said. Jack stood by the bed, holding her hand. Thankfully, it didn’t hurt him as she squeezed, but he knew if Sam took his place, his hand might be broken. Sam came back quickly with as many unscented candles as he could find in the bunker, plus a couple of the calming Lavender candles (Y/n) kept around. He made the rounds of lighting them when the bunker door slammed and running feet could be heard. Cas appeared in the doorway first with Dean hot on his tail.

“(Y/n), just relax.” Cas said, go to the other side opposite from Jack.

“Easy for you to say.” (Y/n) said with large tears falling down her face. Cas wiped them away gently.

“I’m going to call Dr. Robert and see where he is. Maybe he can get here in enough time.” Dean said, grabbing his phone and stepping out of the room. Sam left to go fill a couple buckets with water and grab some towels. Cas kissed (Y/n)’s forehead.

“Cas, I’m gonna die.” (Y/n) whispered. Cas shook his head.

“No. This isn’t an archangel child. You’ll be fine. I promise.” He brushed back her hair. “Dean is getting Dr. Robert. Everything will be okay.” (Y/n) offered him a sad smile before laying back on the bed, trying to rest some. But Layla was coming fast, and (Y/n) knew the truth about her fate.

“Dr. Robert is two hours out.” Dean explained as he came back in, helping Sam carry some of the water. “Thank you can keep her in until then?” (Y/n) cried out and arched her back. “I’ll take that as a no…”

“What are we going to do?” Sam asked.

“Well, I thought we’d go for a nice mall walk…” Dean said. “We’re going to have to help her give birth.”

“Do you know anything about it?” Sam asked. Dean shrugged.

“I dated a girl once that had a pregnant cow on her farm.” Dean explained. “And there was a pregnant cat that hung around Lisa’s place and had her kittens under the porch. I think I got this.” He moved back over to (Y/n). “Do you think you can push?”

“Y-yeah.” (Y/n) whispered, nodding some. Cas held one hand, Jack held the other. Sam stood by, ready to help. Dean moved the blanket off of her, trying to keep any comments about anything to himself. (Y/n) squeezed at Jack and Cas’s hands. Sam watched her, watching as a yellow light started to make her glow.

“Uh, guys…” Sam said.

“Not now. I see Layla.” Dean said, ready to help guide her out.

“Dean…” Sam said again. Dean shook his head, ignoring Sam. Jack and Cas felt the heat radiating off of (Y/n). Sam started to back away.

“I’m sorry.” (Y/n) whispered, a tear falling down her face. “I love you.” She said as she looked over at Cas. Just then, there was a blinding force that knocked everyone back. Jack was the first one up after it, hearing the cries of a baby that laid between (Y/n)’s legs. He walked to her and carefully picked her up with one of the towels Sam had brought in. Sam looked up at him.

“What the hell happened?” Dean asked, pushing himself to his feet. He looked to see Jack holding the crying little baby. Cas pushed himself up off the floor and looked over at Jack and the Winchesters.

“How is she?” Cas asked.

“She looks good.” Sam said. “She’s crying, so there’s nothing blocking her lungs. She looks healthy.” Cas nodded then turned back to (Y/n). Her head was turned to the side and her eyes were closed. Cas shook her gently.

“(Y/n), wake up. You need to meet Layla.” Cas said. But (Y/n)’s head just rolled when he shook her and she made no move to wake up. “(Y/n)?” Dean, Sam, and Jack looked up at him. “(Y/n), wake up.”

“Cas…” Sam said, making his way over and touching her pulse point. “She’s…”

“No.” Cas said. “No, no, no. I promised her.” Sam shook his head. “Jack, come over here.” Jack handed Layla to Dean and walked over to Cas. “You’re going to help me bring her back.” He held his hand over her head and chest, hoping to jump start her brain and heart. Jack did the same, but nothing was working. “Come on Jack!”

“I can’t Castiel. I’m sorry.” Jack said.

“Damn it! What good are you?” Cas snapped.

“Cas, enough.” Sam said.

“Shut up Sam!” Cas growled. “Did you just lose your wife? No. I did. Now someone help me!”

“Wait, what?” Dean asked. Layla kept crying in his arms. Cas pulled (Y/n) into his arms and held her close. Jack took Layla from Dean, her calming a little. He walked over to Cas and (Y/n). Dean looked over at Sam. “When did they get married? Why didn’t they tell us?”

“I don’t know.” Sam said. He watched as Jack set on the bed next to (Y/n), holding Layla. “Tragic looking family.”

“I mean, they are a part of our family.” Dean said. “Let’s give them a minute.” He turned to leave, Sam behind him, when Layla made a high pitched, baby scream. And the room filled with light.