Chapter 13

“So...what do we do now?” Sam asked as Dean set on the other end of the table, batting at dust particles. Cas shrugged.

“I have no idea.” Cas said. “Most human mothers never survive the process of giving birth to a nephilim. I don’t know what to do to help her, much less raising an actual baby. Jack was a young adult, so I missed all the other stages of growing up.”

“I don’t have much experience either. That was Dean.” He motioned over to the cat. “And he’s a little stuck at the moment.” Dean kept batting off a book that Sam had laying on the desk. It wasn’t a big book, and the cat could easily knock it off. “Damn it Dean! Stop!” Sam tore a piece of paper, balled it, and threw. Dean took off like a shot after it. “We need to fix him.”

“I can’t find anything about what Layla did to him.” Cas said with a sigh. “Sam, this is all new. Jack seemed a lot easier.”

“Well, that’s because Jack could talk to you and understand you. She’s literally a newborn. She doesn’t understand what’s going on yet.” Sam explained. He leaned back in his chair and rubbed his eyes. Dean could still be heard, chasing that piece of paper. “I really should get him some food.”

“I think there’s tuna in the pantry.” Cas explained. “I’m not sure it’s a good idea for either of us to leave right now.” Sam nodded. Jack quickly ran in then, looking upset.

“Sam. Cas. Something's not right.” He explained. They looked up at him.

“What do you mean?” Sam asked.

“It’s (Y/n). She seems highly distressed. She’s mumbling stuff in her sleep about someone wanting to hurt Layla. I don’t know what to do.” Cas and Sam immediately stood up and walked into the room, where (Y/n) was tossing and turning on the bed. She was sweaty, disheveled, and looked like she might be in pain. Cas placed a hand on her forehead, trying to see what she was, but it was blocked.

“Damn it.” Cas grumbled. “It’s Azrael. I know it is. He’s playing off of her paranoia or something.”

“Paranoia?” Jack asked. Cas sighed.

“I’ve never seen a human mother survive the birth of a nephilim. But I have seen human fathers survive. And they become paranoid after the experience, especially if they were well bonded to the angel that they had a child with. And I think that (Y/n) has that. I know she was paranoid while pregnant, that’s why she didn’t want to tell Sam and Dean about our marriage.” Cas explained. (Y/n) opened her eyes then and moved away from Cas quickly.

“(Y/n).” Jack said. Sam stood in the doorway, watching.

“Get back!” (Y/n) called out. “Stay away!”

“(Y/n), it’s me.” Cas said.

They want to kill her. Azrael whispered in her mind. (Y/n) shook her head and sprung out of bed, grabbing her daughter into her arms. Run away (Y/n). Run. Run away and never return.

(Y/n) took off then. Bare feet, no diaper bag, no car seat. Nothing to protect her and Layla from what was out there. Dean stopped playing and ran with them, trying to help. Jack, Cas, and Sam were right behind her.

“(Y/n)! Stop!” Sam called out.

“Stay away from us!” She cried.

“If we can just get her back, Jack and I can put some barrier in her head.” Cas explained. “We just need her to calm down.” Jack closed his eyes and focused on his breathing, and soon, he was standing right in front of (Y/n)’s path. He placed a calming hand on her forehead.

“Stop!” (Y/n) cried out. “You want to kill us!”

“Layla is my little sister. I would never harm her. Or you.” Jack explained. (Y/n), exhausted from everything she had been through in the past 48 hours, fell to her knees as Sam and Cas caught up to her. Dean rubbed up against her, trying to add some comfort.

“P-please.” (Y/n) cried. “Please don’t.” She held Layla close to her chest. Cas set beside her and placed his hands on each side of her head. There was so much confusion in her mind he needed to help clear. Jack took the cue and held his hands by (Y/n), focusing like Cas was. Azrael was fighting back, trying to keep the hold he had on her.

“What’s going on?” Sam asked as (Y/n) cried out. Cas hated that he was hurting her this way. Or period.

“He’s fighting back.” Cas said, closing his eyes to focus. With one push of all the energy that he could muster, Cas fought back. As hard as Azrael pushed, Cas and Jack pushed harder. The bunker walls started to shake and Dean ran for cover. Sam didn’t think to run though. By the time he did, it was too late as the opposing graces collided and sent out a shock wave that knocked everyone down. Cas, Jack, Sam, and (Y/n) all on the floor.

The only noise that could be heard was Dean’s claws on the cold floor and Layla’s screams as she laid on (Y/n)’s chest.