Chapter 14: Final Chapter

“Damn it.” Sam groaned as he set up and looked around. Jack was awake and alert, but Cas and (Y/n) were still down for the count. Layla was crying, so Sam picked her up and handed her to Jack before checking his two friends. Cas woke up first, followed by (Y/n).

“How do you feel?” Sam asked, checking her head for injuries.

“Like I got hit by a truck.” She groaned. Sam found a goose egg, but no blood. Cas was immediately at her side.

“Feel like I’m going to kill you and Layla?” Cas asked. (Y/n) shook her head.

“No, I feel more like I need a taco.” She smiled at him some. “Whatever you did worked. I can’t hear that voice anymore.”

“This is probably just temporary. Azrael will be back.” Cas explained. “We need to arm ourselves. He’s not going to stop until he gets what he came here for.” He looked at (Y/n). “You and our daughter.”

“Holy oil and the blades.” Sam said. “We already have warding up, but it’s obviously not working. Do you have anything stronger?”

“Not to stop him. We’re going to have to fight.” Cas told him. Sam nodded and looked at (Y/n).

“You need to rest.” He said, but she shook her head. “(Y/n), you’ve been through hell the past few days.”

“No. I’m not resting until I know that Layla is safe from that monster.” She looked over at Jack, who had soothed Layla into a slumber. Sam and Cas went to gather supplies while (Y/n), Jack, and Layla headed for the library, the safest room in the house. Dean was right with them, meowing the whole time.

“Okay, here we go.” Sam said, laying things out. Just as he did, the door to the bunker flew out, crashing hard against the wall. (Y/n) took Layla from Jack and held her close to her chest while Sam and Cas armed themselves. He walked in then, boots hitting heavy against the metal staircase.

“I’m so tired of playing these games with you Castiel.” Azrael growled. He looked tired and like he had seen battle. The same shockwave that had knocked everyone out in the bunker had done a number on him as well. “Just give me the child and her mother and I’ll be on my way.”

“Over my dead body.” Cas growled. Dean stood by him, hissing.

“Aww, a cute little kitty. I’m sure he wouldn’t mind a trip to the vet.” Azrael taunted, making a scissor motion with his fingers. Dean started clawing at his leg, but Azrael tossed him. HE looked behind Sam and Cas to see (Y/n) standing there with Layla.

“My beautiful bride and our child.” Azrael said with a smile.

“Screw you.” (Y/n) declared. Azrael laughed.

“She’s got a mouth on her.” He went to make a step closer, but Sam raised one of the blades to stop him. “Do you remember, back when my brother Zachariah was running the show, the pain of bleeding from your stomach, as the metal taste of blood rushed into your mouth and clogged your airway? Well, I can make that a million times worse on you Winchester.”

“I’ve been tortured by the devil, by the British Men of Letters. Shot, stabbed, kicked, burnt, and a whole hell of a lot of things. There’s nothing you can do that can hurt me.” Sam told him. Azrael laughed.

“I’m the Angel of Death Samuel. I can hurt you in ways you can’t possibly imagine.” Azrael taunted. Sam made a move to attack the angel, but Azrael sidestepped him easily and reached out a hand to touch Sam’s chest, dropping him to the ground. Sam laid on the ground, gasping for air.

“Sam!” (Y/n) called out.

“We stripped your power.” Cas growled. Azrael laughed.

“You think that witches you run with are the only ones with spells up their sleeves?” Azrael looked over at Layla. “Of course, I won’t have full power, but I can tap into the little one’s every once in a while.”

“Like hell!” (Y/n) said. Azrael smiled and walked towards her again, but Cas stood in his way this time.

“You’re not touching my wife or my daughter.” Cas warned.

“Was it you she was begging for when that sweet angel was created?” Azrael asked. Cas laughed himself at him, digging his blade into Azrael’s arm. Azrael let out a nasty scream and tossed Cas, hitting the wall with a thud. Jack was the last line of defense between (Y/n) and Azrael.

“Okay, okay. I’ve seen about enough.” A woman’s voice said. Cas looked up from where he was to see Billie walking in. “Nice place you got here Winchester.” She looked down at Sam, with a cat sitting right by him, ready for the attack. “Oh no Sam, don’t get up.” She snapped her fingers and he started to breathe again. She turned to look at Azrael. “Hello.”

“You.” He growled. “New face but I still know it’s you.”

“Perhaps we should sit down and talk.” Billie said, but she knew that Azrael wasn’t having it. “I did not ask to be given your powers.”

“But you were!” He snapped. “You took it from me and I want it back.”

“I’m afraid I can’t do that.” She said. “You need to be able to keep a calm head at all times, and my records show several instances of mass death that had to be wrote off due to natural disasters and other phenomenon.”

“I don’t care.”

“Wow, you’re making such a great case for me to give it back to you.” She rolled her eyes. “You brought a nephilim into the world for personal gain. That makes you no better than Lucifer, am I right?” A light bulb exploded by Azrael.

“Don’t you dare compare me to him!” He hissed. Billie shook her head.

“Leave them alone. Return to Heaven. Your brothers and sisters need you. Your kind is a dying breed. I’d hate to see you on the endangered species list.” Azrael launched himself at her, not realizing how stupid his mistake was. Because Death knew not to go anywhere unprepared, and Billie had her scythe ready. (Y/n) covered Layla’s eyes and had Jack turn away as the former reaper impaled the angel in the abdomen.

“You should’ve gone home.” Billie said, watching as the light faded from Azrael’s eyes and he collapsed into a pile of dust on the bunker floor. The room was silent.

“You...you killed him.” Cas whispered. Billie nodded.

“You’re welcome.” She turned to leave. “Don’t say I never did anything for you.” She snapped her fingers and she was gone. Dean stood up from the floor, no longer a cat.

“Dean.” Sam said, pulling himself up. “Welcome back.”

“Anyone else want some tuna?” Dean asked, scratching at his ear. Sam laughed and shook his head. Cas made his way to (Y/n) and Layla.

“Are you both okay?” Cas asked, cupping (y/n)’s face. He looked down at Layla.

“We’re both fine.” (Y/n) reassured him. He kissed her deeply then kissed the top of Layla’s head.

“I love you both so much.” Cas said, resting his forehead against hers.

“So, what now?” Dean asked. “What do we do?”

“We get to live.” Cas said with a smile on his face. “We get to be a family.” He held (Y/n) and Layla close to him.

They knew their peace wouldn’t last, but they would enjoy it while it did.