chapter twenty-five: goodbye bella

Ace's POV
When I looked at her, I didn't see a killer. I didn't see a murderer. I didn't see a runaway. I saw a girl. Just a girl, looking for answers. But answers were hard to find sometimes.

"You know I hate staying in one place for too long, but this place, it almost feels like a home." She smiled softly, looking up at me.

"Maybe you made it home. It sure was pretty boring around here till you showed up." I laughed softly. It was true. This old town was exactly what it was, and old town. No action, no drama. It was the perfect place to lay low, but it also drove you crazy.

I remember when Bella first came. She was quiet, and humble, unlike most girls around here. I know, I know, cliche. But she was different. I knew she was. Maybe it was the fact that she was relatable, or maybe it was the fact that she was just different because she happened to be a killer. A beautiful killer with a pretty face and a soft smile. Along with Bella cane chaos. Come to think of it, it didn't come with her, it was her. She was chaos. A big, beautiful chaos. The kind that sucked you in, and you didn't give a single fuck. She was just that kind of person.

"You're welcome for the entertainment." She laughed softly along with me. She pushed her pitch black hair away from her face as it fell over her shoulders. It was chaos that made her beautiful.

It was getting dark, and the night was near, but there was still a flicker of sunlight left. We watched as the sun completely went away, replaced with a sunset bursting with color. Reds mixed with orange, which slowly transformed into golden hues. I had never watched a sunset before. Something that happened everyday, yet I had never paid attention to it.

-
Bella's POV
I watched at the sun set, and the sky began to change colors. I hated sunsets. I hated them. It was proof that light faded, and beauty became darkness. The reds turned into orange, and then into gold. It was beautiful, but yet it only seemed to remind me of the blood I had spilled. The blood of so many. I was the light, and I had faded to darkness. I couldn't help it though. I wanted to spill more blood, and I know that sounds crazy, but it's true. I couldn't hide it. When a killer is a killer, they can't hide it. When a killer is a killer, they don't go back to before. Even if you were a saint before, fuck it, you're a sinner now.

"Hey Bella..." Ace's voice broke into my thoughts.

"Yeah?"

"Ryder's waiting."

I turned around to see Ryder putting his bags into the car. The rest of the guys were saying bye to him before heading back in. Scout and Gunner waved at me before closing the door behind them. Who knew that would be the last time I would see them.

I flicked my cigarette, before dropping it to the floor and stomping it down. I watched as the glow went out as soon as my black combat boot made contact with it. Light to dark.

I stood up and dusted off my jeans. Ace stood up with me and we stood there together for a while, not knowing what to say.

"So this is goodbye." Ace looked down at me with a playful smile. He was always so serious, yet now he was happy. Or trying to be.

"Guess so." I shrugged.

"Thanks. For being a friend. For understanding me. And for always having a cigarette when I needed one." I joked a smile forming on my face.

"My pleasure. and I'll make sure to mail you a cigarette when I feel you need one, wherever the hell you'll be." He smiled back at me.

We stood there again, just looking at each other. I had never had something like this. I wasn't even sure things like this existed. Friendship. Just understanding one another, without having to say a single word. And that was something you should never give up, but here I was, doing exactly that.

"Hey Bells you ready?" Ryder called out, causing Ace and I to jump. We turned around quickly to find Ryder leaning against my car, an impatient look in his face.

I looked back at Ace and he scoffed slightly.

"You better get going." He motioned.

I turned around, but stopped.

"Hey, don't tell anyone, but I'll come and visit you." I smiled softly. "I'll break my own rules."

"I'll be waiting." He smiled back.

I turned around and smiled to myself, imaging that. Ace, a tough guy with a mean face and no love for anything in this world, would be sitting in the curb, in the cold, smoking a cigarette of course, waiting for a skinny dark haired 17 year old girl to find him. And I would. I swore I would.

-
Ace's POV
I watched her hop into the car, Ryder at her side. I knew it was a lie. She wasn't one to visit, she had said so herself. She was too chaotic to stay put, or to return. I knew that was probably the last time I would see her, but I hated to think of it. So I pretended she was telling the truth. She would be back in a few months, and we'd sit here again. But girls like her don't tell the truth. Well, there's no girls like her. But she doesn't tell the truth, and that's ok. Sometimes, it feels a little better to lie to yourself.

-
Bella's POV
"Geez, you took while with Ace." Ryder mentioned casually as he looked in the rear view mirror.

"Just as long as you took with Jax." I shrugged.

"Fair enough." He smirked.

I smile slightly, rolling my eyes at him. He always seems to be in a good mood.

"This is gonna be one hell of a ride." He laughed.

"Oh I bet." I teased as when sped down the highway.

He raised on hand up, pointing his pinky finger at me. I looked at him, confused until he spoke.

"Partners in crime?" He said, his voice playful.

I wrapped my pinky around his carefully.

"Partners in crime." I lied.