Chapter Ten: Fighting Feelings

Sometimes life gives us second chance but we live not to notice or rather appreciate it. Maybe some of us just don't need saving.

Unexpectedly it was all bluffs and I didn't have to pack my bags for I was not going anywhere. Neither were the others maybe with the exception of Janice, a friend of ours from 3 south that had also been in the 'game' ,who left the school but who knows why?

I had vowed to change but I guess some habits are inborn and better left undisturbed. Days continued as usual and our squad continued as it was except of course for Jeff who stopped hanging with us. Unbothored we had continued with our lives until a new student was admitted to our class and better enough to my cube just in time for the inter house games.

Inter house games was the most anticipated day in the school oh and the form one admission too. The cheers  and the jeers, the fights and the beefs just made it more than games especially the basketball and football matches.
Freddy,the new kid,was to be soon be the  basketball MVP even though our team was losing in all games.

"He's good right?" Tracy glowed, watching the game by the sidelines. It was our last qualification game and we had to win to get to the finals.

"Yes I have to give him that,"  I smile back at Tracy,waving at Phoebe who stood next to her. Phoebe and I had actually never spoken except for the friendly gestures of smiling and waving at each other on the pavements every time we passed one another.

"Yessss!" The crowd around us screamed a sure indication that it was yet another basket for our team and from Freddy of course. We were winning today quite a shocker for our team.

"Hello there?" I gather some courage and move towards Phoebe for a chat.

"Heeeeey,"she glees but barely looks away from the court.

"Long time no talk,"I try to make a conversation and this time she turns to look at me and rolls her eyes a smile drawing all over her face.

"Yes Ted, too long,"

"But am here now so can we get to talk?" I probably shouldn't have asked that or should I? Lucky enough she says yes and looks back at court.

"Damn that boy is pretty,"Tracy thinks out loud blushing, referring to Freddy and soon Phoebe joins in the drool, making me jealous.
  A basket and another from Freddy cause the fans to go wild as the other team call for a time out. It was the third quarter and the smell of victory was all over our teams sides. Everyone runs towards the circle formed by our team players and with that I get Phoebe's attention. 

"So somebody wants to talk," she narrows her eyes on me. I liked it when she did that, no, I loved it. It made her eyes more cuter.

"Ted! Brother, fill for me this bottle please," Freddy calls out and throws a white Nike water bottle at me making a puppy face and that meant I just had to go. Freddy was a much better replacement for the squad after Jeff's rebellion. Tall and a charmer to most girls he had fit very well at the school. I mean everyone loved Freddy.

"Walk me to the taps please?" I try to get Phoebe's company with the puppy face too. Who wouldn't give in to that?

At the taps we stand and chat,catching up on the past weeks as she kept laughing about the 'DSTV' case. An awkward silence creeps in suddenly forcing me to I apologize for what I said about her and how Malik treated her. I surely did my best for she started crying.

"You know Ted,not everyone is like you and those friends of yours who act like the whole school revolve around them. Am a girl, with feelings too meaning I cry at small things. You guys are loud and popular and get away with almost everything. You treat others, me included, like trash and want to use girls not caring what we feel. But to be honest with you in case you didn't know, it hurts Ted," she tried to talk a midst her sobs and I stood there not knowing what to do. "I loved you Ted and I still do, why did you do that?" She said after a deep breath willing her tears to subside and hugged me. Her river began to flow again a mess of tears rolling down to my T-shirt I felt her.

"Am sorry Phoebe," my lips apologize willingly for the a hundredth time and counting.

"I love you too," I added her face looking up at me brightening slowly.
"You do?"
"Ye..." She puts her hands over my mouth to stop me and I couldn't help myself feeling it just there. She looked at me again our faces much closer now and as if holding her breath she closes her eyes and closes the inches between us. Her lips are wet with anticipation and I give in to them,locking in for a kiss.

"Oh get a room please!" We push away from each other and turn to see Joan roll her eyes and walk away and just like that Phoebe broke down falling to the floor.

"We're dead Ted, she's going to snitch on us! Just go and talk to her please, I know she's going to report us! Of course she's, I mean she's your ex! Ted am sorry am so sorry I have gotten you into trouble again! My dad will kill me! I can't be suspended! You can't be suspended!" She freaked.