Chapter two - Raoul's counsel

STORY: THE ONE I'D SING FOR

I wanted to walk towards him, to disappear into the mirror with him. So I took a step forwards and the Phantom took a step backwards to make some place for me. He wanted me to come with him.

'What is your name, Phantom?' I asked.

'Erik.'

I smiled. Such a common name for such a special person. Enchanted by this mysterious Ghost, this Erik, I wanted to walk into the mirror. Then someone knocked on my dressing room's door and I was chased out of my trance. I looked at the door and then back to the mirror. The man was gone.

I tried to walk into the mirror but was stopped by the glass. Had it all been a dream? An illusion made by my weary mind? I let my head hang in disappointment. On the floor I found something. I bowed and took the object in my hands, it was the rose Erik had left in front of my feet.

That was my first meeting with the Opera Ghost.

***

Again I heard someone knock on my door. 'Come in, come in.' I said and Raoul de Chagny entered my room. 'Why did it take you so long?' He asked. 'I heard voices, were you talking to someone?' I shook my head. 'Why are you here, Raoul?' I asked and watched him as he made his way towards me. 'My brother had to leave right after the show was done, but he asked me to give this to the beautiful lady who sung so wonderfully.' He showed me one single rose and handed it to me. The thorns were removed so I took the rose in my hands. Red, it was.

'How kind of him.' I said and looked at the rose. 'Yes, well my brother had inspected I think at least a thousand roses to find the best one for you. He wanted one that, let me quote him, "had leaves that would match the softness of her skin, and the colour of my love for her". 'Her' of course referred to you.' He then looked at me with eyes filled with truth in them. 'Honestly, Euline, my brother is madly in love with you. Do not give him hope if there is none.'

He walked around the room, talking about how much his brother had talked about me, and how nervous Philippe had been when they came to visit me before the show. 'And just imagine what fine husband he could be.' Raoul said.

I stopped him there. 'I'm sure he could.' I said and softly muttered 'as could Erik'. The younger brother looked questioning at me. 'Erik?' He asked. 'You mean the Phantom of the Opera?' He said and I saw anger entering the eyes of Raoul.

He spoke again, now loudly and with a harsh tone. 'That monster? You're not thinking about that beast, are you? I'm not even sure he feels love! In his eyes is only the cold of the Dead, on his mind only hatred, on his hands only blood!'

Raoul touched my shoulder. 'Really, Euline, you are far better off without that murderous monster. Long ago he also terrorised the life of another singer, Christine. Oh Euline, just imagine how happy you could be with my brother, what true and warm love he has to offer you. That beast can offer you nothing- only Death.' Raoul noticed the two black roses on the table and swiped them off the surface, into the trash can. 'I see he has already played with your mind.' Then he made his way to the door, saying one sentence before he left. 'Don't let him play with your heart as well. He will end you and shatter all your dreams.'

But why would he shatter my dreams if he is in all of them?

I had taken the roses out of the trash can and cherished them close to my heart. The Phantom had haunted me ever since, whether I had my eyes closed or wide open. I had longed for him to visit me once more, to talk to me, to take me with him, to sing for me. But he would not come. And I felt more alone than ever.

A/N

A short chapter this time! What do you think: is Raoul right? Whst would you like to say to Raoul? Let me know! Please comment and vote! I really hope you like the story so far! If not, don't fret: there are more chapters yet to come...

-MS