Chapter three - A noose made of fingers

STORY: THE ONE I'D SING FOR

Raoul touched my shoulder. 'Really, Euline, you are far better off without that murderous monster. Long ago he also terrorised the life of another singer, Christine. Oh Euline, just imagine how happy you could be with my brother, what true and warm love he has to offer you. That beast can offer you nothing- only Death.' Raoul noticed the two black roses on the table and swiped them off the surface, into the trash can. 'I see he has already played with your mind.' Then he made his way to the door, saying one sentence before he left. 'Don't let him play with your heart as well. He will end you and shatter all your dreams.'

But why would he shatter my dreams if he is in all of them?

I had taken the roses out of the trash can and cherished them close to my heart. The Phantom had haunted me ever since, whether I had my eyes closed or wide open. I had longed for him to visit me once more, to talk to me, to take me with him, to sing for me. But he would not come. And I felt more alone than ever. 

***

A celebration would take place in the Opera tonight, to honour the birth of music. That's what they all said, but I knew it was just an excuse to throw a party and invite many rich men so they'll invest in the Opera. Nevertheless I wanted to go and I fiercely hoped that Erik would be there as well. I walked through the many halls of the building with a plan in mind. I would once more lock myself in my room and call for him, until he listened. Maybe I should sing for him to lure him to my room. It was worth a try.

When I opened the door of my dressing room, I found a dress on my bed. I wondered whether the maid had given it to me, but when I came closer I saw a card and a rose lying next to it. A black rose, the dress was sent by Erik. I picked up the card and read the words written with red ink.

"Wear this dress on the celebration tonight and I will know you want me to come. I will be there, if that is what you wish.

OG."

I smiled and looked at the dress. It was absolutely stunning and I was definitely going to wear it tonight.

***

The evening fell and the guests all came in two by two until the entire room was crowded with many people. They ate, drunk, laughed and danced. I hadn't danced yet, I was waiting and observing the crowd from afar. I did not want to dance with anyone else but my Phantom. The desire to see him was strong, and I made sure I kept away from the crowd so that Erik could spot me easier and appear in front of me.

A hand was stretched out for me to take, but it was not gloved and therefore not Erik's. The hand belonged to Philippe who smiled kindly at me with friendly eyes shining in delight. 'You look beautiful tonight, Euline. Your fair black hair fits your dress perfectly, yet I cannot detect any joy in your eyes, they're without any light. Would you allow me to try to bring back some light in the fairest shade of brown I've ever seen?'

I smiled at Philippe. He sure looked fine in his fitting costume and with his beautiful hairstyle. Though I still was waiting for Erik, but one dance couldn't harm anyone, could it? And Philippe looked so pleadingly at me. His hand stayed empty and he was about to awkwardly move it next to his body when I took his hand anyway. 'I would love to dance with you, Philippe.'

And so we danced. 'I was afraid you would let me wait there for ages without answer.' Philippe chuckled as we danced. 'I would have done that, you know.' I nodded. 'I know.' We danced and turned, spun around and were the best dancing couple on the dance floor. I noticed that many were watching us, ladies with envy in eyes and hatred in heart. I couldn't blame them. Philippe was an amazing man, both charming and funny, gentle and kind. Raoul was right; he could be the perfect husband and obviously was a smart choice. But if he is all of that, why couldn't I keep my mind away from that ghost that has spoken to me but hadn't yet reappeared?