Chapter 10: Day's Dawning

A/N: Above is one of my piano compositions. What do you think? 

Finrod watched his sister depart and then turned on his heel, his mind reeling. Seemingly unaware of the world around him, he walked across the courtyard, up the staircase, and entered his study, sitting down and placing his head in his hands. Closing his eyes, he tried to sort out the racing commotion in his mind. 

If Galadriel was right, then he had only one choice before him. Confront Elthríel and solve the conflict between them. But of course, his sister could not be lying. She had never lied--at least, not to him. Finrod doubted she was being untruthful. So much made sense now! The similarities in looks and personalities. How could he not have seen it before? He was a stupid fool for not realizing it sooner! 

Of course, he could not simply jump up and talk to Elthríel. He doubted if she was even awake. Most were still sleeping at this early hour. 

Lifting his head, he looked out the window at the dawning sunlight streaming in. He would wait no more. Long and dark had been the days since his parting with Amarië. He would not waste what time he had left in Middle-earth worrying about the future. Time was short, even for those of the Elven race. With Morgoth on the loose, life was uncertain. 

Rising, Finrod exited the room in search of Amdarel. 

When he found the ellon, Finrod instructed him, saying, "Amdarel, when you see the elleth, Elthríel, please tell her to come to me. I wish to speak with her."

Then he turned, as if to leave, but Amdarel stopped him. 

"My liege, Elthríel left these gates soon after your sister left. I have not seen her since."

"What?" Finrod gasped incredulously. 

"Aye. I assume she went into the woods, where she has gone often, now that winter has passed."

"Do you know where, exactly, she goes?"

Amdarel shook his head. "I am sorry, but nay. I do not know."

"Hannon-lle," Finrod answered, turning away. He knew what he must do. He would go after her. 

He made his way swiftly to the stables and left within moments out of the gates of Nargothrond, heading for the depths of Doriath. He followed the slight markings in the forest that only his trained eye could see, that of someone's passage through the wood only a short while before. Yet it was not as easy as he thought and several times he lost his way. 

At last, when the sun was high above the trees, he heard the cheerful bubble of a stream and hastened towards it, hoping it was the right brook. 

Suddenly, the trees stopped a fair distance from the water. Finrod pulled up short and stared at the sight before him. 

Elthríel sat at the edge of the water, her long dark hair hanging loose on her back, reaching over to touch the rippling waters with her hand

Elthríel sat at the edge of the water, her long dark hair hanging loose on her back, reaching over to touch the rippling waters with her hand. She looked so small, so fragile, and yet so strong and resilient. Finrod scarcely dared to breathe lest he break the moment of beauty. 

But his horse had other ideas. 

A loud snort from his mount made the fair lass jerk her hand away from the water and look behind her in alarm. At seeing Finrod, her expression of fright turned to one of amazement. 

"Finrod Felagund?"

"Aye, I was looking for you."

"For me?" she exclaimed, rising to her feet. 

He drew near and dismounted, looking at her for quite some time before speaking. 

"Elthríel, there is something I must ask you

"Elthríel, there is something I must ask you." 

His voice was gentle, soft, and tender. She had not heard him speak that way since... Since he had told her long ago in Valinor that he had to go with his people to Middle-earth to remain forever in exile unless the Valar forgave them and let them return. She looked down, feeling tears uncontrollably close. "What is it?" she questioned in a mere whisper. 

"My sister, right before she left, told me something--something very important. I want to know if it is true."

Elthríel suddenly felt her heart trip over itself. She knew what he was going to ask. And she dreaded having to answer. 

"Tell me your real name--who you really are. And do not withhold anything from me."

Elthríel promptly burst into tears. She involuntarily stepped backwards and covered her face with her hands, ashamed of this uncontrollable, passionate outburst.  

"Oh Elbereth, what have I done? Elthríel, what is wrong?" Finrod's voice was one of anguish. 

"Oh Finrod," her words were barely audible. "Please... For the love you once bore for Amarië in Valinor long ago, please do not make me tell you my real name."

"And still that love burns ever bright within my heart, undimmed by the passage of time." He reached forward and gently pulled her hands down, revealing her tear-streaked face and brushed the tears away. "Ai, Amarië." Then Finrod bent down, his lips meeting hers for the briefest of moments. "Why did you never tell me?"

"B-because I was afraid."

"Afraid? When have I ever given you cause to be afraid?" 

"I was afraid you would think less of me, seeing me in the state I am now."

"Then you are wrong. Doubtless, there is a good reason for the changes, but I love you no less. Mayhaps you are all the dearer to me because of your sufferings under the hand of Morgoth. I love you, Amarië, and nothing in all of Arda or the Halls of Mandos will ever change that."

She smiled, through her tears, and spoke, "I cannot believe it. I don't deserve your love, certainly not now." 

"Amarië, do you love me?" His arms encircled her waist and he looked deep into the sea-grey depths of her eyes. 

"Aye, Finrod, I love you."

"Then will you return with me to Nargothrond and wed me as soon as may be?"

She laughed, her breath catching in her throat. "Aye, Finrod, I will."

He smiled broadly. "That is well." 

Finrod Felagund bent down and kissed her for the second time that day, kissing her in just the way he had always dreamed. 

So, what did you all think? Terribly sorry for not finishing this before. I had severe writer's block. :( Anyway, thank you so much for helping this book pass 1k views and 120 votes!

Don't forget to vote and comment if you enjoyed!

~ Gwynnedd