Chapter 13: A Warning

Thank you all so much for 1.7k reads and 161 votes! 

Amarië wandered aimlessly through the halls and corridors of Nargothrond, waiting for Finrod's council to finish. She had foolishly thought, the night before as the two had sat in near perfect bliss in the song hall, that he would spend every free minute he had with her. And that was partly true; the only difficulty was that he had not very many free moments. The main issue was protection of Nargothrond's borders in alliance with King Elu Thingol of Menegroth. And the housing of Finrod's guests that came occasionally. There was also, of course, the long-put off marriage of her and Finrod, but they had not discussed that between them in length and she doubted he would bring it up to others without having spoken of it to her. 

So she waited patiently, for them to finish. 

After what seemed like hours, the talking from beyond the walls of the room ceased and the door opened, the various occupants walking out. Finrod stayed in, surrounded by scattered parchments. 

When the others had left, Amarië entered and closed the door behind her. 

Finrod glanced up and the worried frown on his face disappeared into a smile. "Amarië, I was hoping to see you."

"The meeting was long," she sat down in an unoccupied chair. "I thought you had forgotten me."

"Never. I would never forget you. 'Tis only that there was much to discuss that I've put off for far too long. But that's all done with." He pushed the parchments to the side and rose to his feet. "Come with me, let us leave aside the cares of this dark Age of Middle-earth and pretend we are still in Valinor." Though he was smiling, his voice had a trace of bitterness and sad longing. 

He wrapped his arm around her small waist and led her out into a courtyard whose roof had been designed to let the sun shine in upon growing plants placed in strategic places to delight the eyes of the viewers. "You're very quiet today, Amarië. What is it?"

She shrugged. "I don't know. Something's been weighing be down since this morning and I don't know what it is." 

"When do you want to be married?" He asked after a moment's silence. 

Amarië looked up at him and smiled. "Truly?"

"Truly. I don't want to wait any longer than you do. So much time has been wasted already."

"A month from now?" 

He smiled down at her. "Aye, I will send word to my sister. She will wish to know. Meanwhile, I have a free afternoon and would like to spend it best. Do you have any suggestions?"

Amarië laughed. "Locking ourselves in the library with no one to disturb us and you singing songs to me like you used to in Valinor."

"Hm, I shall consider your request," he teased. "Come with me, the library awaits."