Chapter 14: A Whispered Threat

"Finrod." Amarië turned and looked over her shoulder at him as he picked his way gingerly through the bracken. 

"I'm coming, Amarië, just be patient--" he broke off to unsnag his tunic that had caught on a thorn branch. Having freed himself, he hurried to her side as they continued to walk through the woods. 

"Finrod, will you take me to the festival in Tirion?"

"What festival?" He knew, but was asking all the same. He would never tire of hearing her sweet voice in his ears. 

"The song and dance festival. They say Varda herself will be there. And I wish to go, but I cannot go unaccompanied."

Finrod blinked, thinking of an answer. 

"Please?" she begged, taking hold of his hand and standing in front of him. 

"On three conditions."

"Three?" she asked in confusion. 

"Aye. Three. First, you will go as my companion and won't leave my side; I shan't wish to lose you in the crowd. Second, you must hold your peace during the singing--"

"Finrod! You know I'm more quieter than you in that respect!" 

"--Just a jest, Amarië."

"What is the third condition?" she asked after a pause. 

"The third, yes..." He looked at her with a twinkle in his eye. 

"Well?"

He bent down and snatched a kiss from her before running off, leaving her to chase him indignant. 

"Finrod!"

"What? I know you don't mind." 

"That gives you no excuse."

"Fine, I shan't do it again." He feigned walking away, but she stopped him.

"Finrod," her voice was so soft. "Please, don't." 

He turned and smiled. "As you wish."

She stood up on her toes and kissed him back.

Then a cold wind blew and the scene changed drastically. 

Finrod pushed the happy memory away from his mind as he struggled through the sleety winds of the Helecarxë, tears rolling down his face

Finrod pushed the happy memory away from his mind as he struggled through the sleety winds of the Helecarxë, tears rolling down his face. Those times were over. He would never see Amarië again. 

'If only we had not rebelled! If only we had not chosen exile! If only we could reverse time--then I would not have to be apart from her...'

The wind moaned in cold mockery to his words.

Finrod opened his eyes with a start and blinked rapidly, trying to regain his bearings.