Chapter 15: A Wedding

The remaining days passed swiftly, Finrod and Amarië spending as much time as they could in each other's company. Much to her relief, she did not have such dark dreams again during that time and she began to hope that Morgoth's threat was only an empty promise. 

The auspicious day dawned pale and grey, misted clouds covering the sun. Within the caves of Nargothrond, the light was dim and had to be brightened by artificial light. Amarië did not mind that much, however. Her thoughts were on the one whom her heart desired above all else and to whom she would that day be wedded. She could scarce believe it. From the days in Valinor, across the miseries of the Helecarxë and during the time beneath the earth in the dungeons of Morgoth, until the time she was reunited with Finrod and he did not yet know her, she had doubted this day would ever come to pass. Now that it had, she found it nearly impossible to realize that this moment was nearly tangible. 

Dressed in a simple, ivory, lacy gown, she waited for Galadriel to come to her room. The Lady had asked to be a part of preparing the bride and Amarië had agreed. 

Within moments, the golden-haired Noldor arrived. Smiling, she walked to the slight elleth. "How are you feeling this morning?"

"I cannot believe this is real."

"You will believe it, soon enough. Now come, we mustn't keep them waiting." She began to comb through Amarië's hair and expertly twist and weave it into a beautiful pattern that the elleth could only feel, not see. Then she carefully placed a simple, golden circlet around her head. "There. A bride worthy for my brother." 

Amarië rose to her feet and smiled. "Thank you."

"You needn't thank me. I am glad for you both; you have each endured far more sufferings that most. This day is for you and I wish you both every happiness." She kissed Amarië lightly on the forehead. "Now come, they are waiting."

The great hall's high, vaulted ceiling was the first thing that caught Amarië's eye as she entered with Galadriel at her side. The Lady left her standing at the end and continued forward until she stood by her brother. 

Then Amarië looked at Finrod and all doubts vanished away like morning fog beneath a rising sun. She could see the quiet pride and strength in the smile he wore. 

Feeling her confidence return, she crossed the length of the hall and stood next to him. 

"I thought this day would never come," he whispered.

"Nor did I." 

"But it has, and I love you all the more for it." 

Almost the entirety of Nargothrond was gathered to witness the wedding of their lord to his love. Even Amtharel was there, but her gaze was blank when Amarië looked at her at the end of the ceremony. 

It felt strange; she did not feel a great difference once she and Finrod were pronounced to all as one. One minute she was only Amarië Elthríel, Vanyar. Now she was also the wife of Finrod Felagund, Lord of the caves of Nargothrond. It felt more complete and yet unusual, like a new garment one wears for the first time. She almost believed it to be a dream, save the cold metal of the silver ring on her finger proved that it was not so, that their dreams and wishes had at last come true, though they had suffered much in the waiting of it. 

The celebration as followed by a feast, but to Amarië it was only a distant blur. Her eyes were for Finrod only and his for hers. She only remembered one thing from it, that was not pleasant. 

After the wedding ceremony, Galadriel had taken her back to her room to change into a simpler dress for the feast. She had done so, but near the end of the feasting, she slipped out for a breath of fresher air. 

Amtharel was outside the hall as well, and when she caught sight of Amarië, she walked towards her, a sickening sweet smile plastered on her face. 

"I suppose congratulations are in order," she drawled as the came to her side.

"Thank you," Amarië responded, somewhat timidly. Amtharel, though warned by Finrod, still frightened her. 

Amtharel stood so close they were inches a part. "But don't you ever forget you are not worthy of him," she hissed, gripping the sleeve of the dress Amarië was wearing. With one motion, she turned, still holding onto the sleeve, and it ripped. 

Amarië watched the elleth walk away, stunned. "What have I ever done to you?" she cried out after her, but Amtharel did not return. 

"Now what shall I do? Finrod is waiting for me and I can't return, not with my dress in this state." She glanced back at the feasting hall. 

"Amarië!" Finrod stepped out and stopped

"Amarië!" Finrod stepped out and stopped. "Amarië, what happened?"

She looked away, a heated wave of shame rushing over her. "Amtharel--she..." 

"Nay, you don't need to tell me." He sighed and tightened his lips in thought. "'Tis just as well she is leaving tomorrow. Hurry and change, I'll wait for your return. And I'm sorry."

She nodded and then walked softly but swiftly through the halls to her room. She changed quickly and returned to the hall, taking up again her place by Finrod's side. No one, it seemed, had noticed their absence. 

After the feasting was over and most had retired for the night, Finrod took Amarië by the hand and led her to his room. 

"Will Amtharel ever return to Nargothrond?" she asked, seating herself down on his bed. 

"No, not if I can help it," he replied gently, sitting himself next to her. He gazed at her bent face, the wispy strands of nut-brown hair tumbling over her face. He brushed away the strands of hair only to see tears rolling down her face. "Amarië, Elthríel, my starlight, what is wrong?" His voice was edged with grave concern. 

"I only wish that I had not changed so much, to be so different from the Amarië you knew back in Valinor."

Finrod reached out and brushed away the tears with his hand. "I do not. I love you all the more for all the suffering you and I have endured. Don't listen to Amtharel." He kissed her forehead. "I love you, Amarië."

I hoped you enjoyed it! Please leave a vote and a comment if you did! And yes, Amtharel is gone for good. 

Just a heads-up, there will be an eight year gap in this story between this chapter and the next. 

~ Gwynnedd