Of Time Travel, Thinkers and Being Dumb (Prompt: Spin)

"Welcome to Thinkerland."

The welcome took us by surprise as we left the contraption, stepping into 'Future'. For what appeared eternity, Akshay and I thought we would end up burning to ember in the dying sun's periphery given how fast the time dial spun. Thankfully, Akshay threw a switch to stop the time dial and we ended up here - Thinkerland.

"I am glad you speak English. Am I relieved?" I extended my hand to greet our host. Going by people hovering over beautifully manicured lawns on what appeared like jet-scooters, I knew we had indeed time-traveled. The man however, didn't seem to share our enthusiasm and welcomed us with a nod and clasping of the palms. Some things have gone back to being old school, I concealed a chuckle.

"We speak every language that man has spoken until now," the man said, "Feel at home. Anything you desire?"

"..go home?" Akshay blurted out, groggy, and scared. The man smiled comfortingly. "There is nothing to fear. You may depart. But having come this far, would you like me to show you around first?" We nodded in unison.

"Thinkerland. A rather unusual name," Akshay said, as we rode a three-seat jet scooter. "No. You will see why it isn't so very soon," the man said without turning our way, "Now please enjoy the sights. Who knows? You might even choose to call this place home."

Thinkerland was a sight to behold. The vast expanse of land, as far as our eyes could see, was lush green and dotted with bountiful trees. There wasn't a trace of smoke or dirt and the sky wore a pristine blue. Houses were tepees - functional and efficient, and people seemed to love the outdoors.

"I see your people love their statues," I said, pointing to the never ending row of statues of varying sizes. People, gathered around them in groups and spoke speaking in an animated manner. Some took notes, while others seemed busy in their upkeep. It was almost as if the entire place was a museum that people toured in hordes. In a while, we returned to where we started from.

"What do you guys do for a living?" Akshay had to ask.

"Before you seek to know further," the man said with a wry smile, "tell me something." He proceeded to toss a coin that flipped a hundred times before hitting the ground. 'Heads,' it was.

"Now," said the man rubbing his palms together,"tell me what made the coin land on its tail."

"Probability," Akshay jumped at the chance. "Probability says that you have a fifty-one percent chance when tossed. Usually the odds are in favour of tails due to a heavier head. In this case I feel your spinning it and the total lack of humidity must have given the heads a better chance despite it being heavier," Akshay said weighing the coin in his palm.

"Impressive," the man said. "And you? What's your opinion?"

"That's how it hit the ground? " is the best I could manage. Akshay and the man had a hearty laugh.

"Now, Akshay. You come to my right and Ram, switch to my left. Just one more trip before we say adios." The man wrapped his hands around our shoulders as though we were in a reunion of school chums and we walked along till we reached an empty pedestal between two statues.

---

"This is what we do for a living. Thinkerland is an intergalactic knowledge sale hub. Bye!" The man said as he shut the door of our time capsule and waved me a cheerful goodbye even as my forlorn eyes remained fixed on the statue that Akshay had become.

I realised why the man hadn't shaken hands. I realised why he had asked us to switch places. His right hand turned the bright minded ones into statues - thought machines - that people gathered around, fed questions into, harvested answers from and sold them. It wasn't love for the outdoors.

And, It pays to be dumb, after all.