Triggered

She slept well that night. As she woke, she remembered having to manipulate someone weak enough to hand his or her identity over to her. Groaning softly at the thought of this task, her mind switched over to the conversation between her and Slade. Did yesterday really happen?

It was all too convenient - needing a guardian and all, and someone just steps out of the shadows, just like that.

He clearly wanted something from her, but she knew too little of him to have any suspicions. Rubbing her temples, she decided to take a quick breather by meditating for a while to calm herself down. The task ahead of her was difficult, but she would use it as a stepping stone to be better at using her powers.

Or she could just dial Slade on her phone and arrangements would be made straightaway. It was an easy way out - an almost too easy way out... And Raven wasn't ready to trust anyone but herself yet. Changing out into a black t-shirt and denim jeans, she sat cross-legged at the center of her room, closing her eyes as she began her meditation.

Take in this entire building's emotions. Inhale. Exhale. I have to start small with my most familiar surroundings. The sadness, anger, the joy... All of it.

Something she sensed jolted her out of her peaceful serenity as her eyes widened with shock.

She felt her father's presence.

No, this could not be. He could not possibly be on this Earth - why else would he have need of her for? Her hands, trembling, reached out to the floor as she tried to stand. As she was in the kneeling position, there was a knock on the door.

With no greeting, nor a call. Her mind was set racing in a panic as she realized her answer - someone had been sent to find her, someone whose vibe contained a trace of her father. It was unmistakable. She knew her father all too well to not recognize him and his associates.

She could not continue staying frozen. Phasing herself out of the room's walls away from the door, she landed on the back alley of the building as she continued to run through the alley's wall and into the adjacent busy street.

No! Bad idea! Turn to somewhere secluded Raven! A busy street is definitely not somewhere you'd want to be in this moment now...

She hurriedly turned away from the streets and headed in the direction of the city park. Not too many people especially with the overcast skies looming ahead. She could already feel a light drizzle on her face as the sun started to retreat into the clouds.

"Purple hair isn't exactly an inconspicuous sight, Rachel." With a gasp, Raven turned behind to see Slade in a tux with a black umbrella over him. "Why are you out here in the rain?"

She didn't know what to feel. One part of her felt incredibly relieved it wasn't a demonic entity chasing up to her. The other wanted to knock his face off for startling her that badly. She decided to follow the former.

"I, uh, thought it'd be better if I took a walk." She tried to manage a smile but she was pretty sure it came out sheepish.

I'm bad at hiding emotions.

He stared down at her as he raised a brow and shielded her with his umbrella. "Is something after you, Rachel?"

How the hell does this guy know EVERYTHING? Her face creased with curious frustration as she kept her eyes on the sidewalk.

Inside his head he recalled the panicked way she had left her building. Not even through the door, but through the walls. For a girl who desired to live as normally as possible, that was one very not-normal way of leaving the house.