Contract

"You can't keep running and hiding whenever you feel like it." Slade stood against the wall of her room. He had gone home to change out from his soaked clothes, determined to pursue Raven afterwards. He had opted for a more convenient outfit of jeans with a white long-sleeved shirt.

"You don't know enough to say that." Raven stared at the food Slade had brought her for dinner. "Also, thanks. For this. Because I'm feeling abnormally hungry right now. The ordeal had taken a lot of energy out of me." With a sigh, she opened the lunchbox and started eating at a fast pace.

"I've seen enough to say that. So Raven's your real name?"

She nodded, looking at him. An odd scene this is. Here I'm sitting on the floor while this wealthy magnate stands before me...

Slade gave a small smile as he sat on the floor across her, cross-legged as well.

"Why did you run from me?"

She hesitated. "I'm...scared. I'm scared of people seeing me do all that. I'm scared of myself. When it all gets so overwhelming and I lose control. I'm sorry that today happened. It shouldn't have involved you. I could've just been less afraid to face it and not have run from my room in the first place. It's.. like what Blood had said. Family matters." She let her eyes close as she finished. This was why Azarath had feared her, even her own mother at times. She finally understood the capacity of her power and realized that they were about to grow even stronger with every year she ages.

"I don't care for your family matters, Raven. What happened doesn't bother me, not in the slightest. I'm not scared of you. I need you to stop running from this problem of yours. I want you to face it and control it." He squeezed her left arm gently to make a point. "My offer for you still stands. I promise I can help you with your powers. You will learn to use them to your best abilities. You will never fear the Church of Blood or anyone ever again. Not even your father."

"You know, it's funny how I've only been in this world for less than three days and we've already been through this much," She looked up at him. "Thank you for accepting me without fear and judgment. And for even offering to help. I don't know how else to say it but... thanks, Slade." She looked away. "While I'm not so sure about you being able to help me with my powers... I don't think I've anything to lose by agreeing to your offer."

He smiled as his hand felt her head. "Good. Now let's get started on those paperwork of yours."

Everything was prepared. Today would be her first day at St Pete's and the beginning of her new life. She was determined - to skip a few grades and graduate earlier than her peers, move on to high school and ace that too, and finally graduate college with a perfect GPA.

Slade had it planned out for her too - to graduate college before hitting 18. She knew she could, because on her first day, she was already told to join the 8th graders instead of the 5th. Her entrance test had gotten a perfect score and they decided to sit her through another one for a higher grade.

So at 10 years old, young Rachel Roth Wilson was sitting among peers three years older than her. She had taken Slade's last name as a mark of gratitude to him, and also for convenience.

She didn't see the need to mix with them or befriend anyone, for she was more than comfortable being by herself. They left her alone for they were unsure of what to make of her.

"I heard she skipped 5th grade to join us."

"These immigrants are crazy smart. Where's she from, China?"

"I just wish they'd stop coming here to make us look so dumb.."

She felt their apprehensions and doubts loud and clear. As she walked down the busy hallway, a thousand emotions threatened to swallow up the young empath whole. She was determined to be as invisible as she could in the school. All she needed to do was to interact with a few people, fulfill minimal social obligations, ace her exams, and graduate. School was a perfect setting for her to handle emotions of all sorts, and to control herself under any circumstances. Nobody would even suspect she wasn't a human.