III. WHAT A PRINCESS WANTS

╔═════ ∘◦ ✾ ◦∘ ══════╗what a princess wants !╚═════ ∘◦ ❈ ◦∘ ══════╝

╔═════ ══════╗
what a princess wants !
╚═════ ══════╝

SHURI UDAKU doesn't want to find a date for the upcoming annual ball her brother hosts every year because he is that extra.

No, Shuri Udaku wants to be left alone in her lab so she could finish her newest prototype of kimoyo beads, despite T'Challa insisting that it doesn't need any new upgrades.

Maybe if she's lucky, she could even start designing new blueprints for the trains underground, and create new and fully enhanced spears for the Dora Milaje - ( she did promise Okoye an early birthday present, maybe she could design her a custom made  spear that could shoot lasers out of them.)

The ball is held as an offering to Bast, to show her that Wakanda is forever grateful to have had been blessed with such richness and life.

It was most likely one of the most highly awaited -( or dreaded, ) events of the year. It would take place within the palace, and everyone from around Wakanda is welcome to attend.

The streets would be lit with fireworks and blazing lights, as people danced under the night sky glittering with stars. It sounded like something out of a fairytale, but Shuri had never been a fan of them -(instead, our little heroine grew up reading all about Star Trek, dreaming about men in space.)

Shuri might actually enjoy the occasion if it wasn't for the fact that every year, she would be stuck dancing with someone she barely knows, and it never ends well.

Last year, her mother had forced her to dance with a young man from Nakia's tribe.

He too was interested in science, he had contributed some of his designs to the kingdom -( but they were ancient. If it wasn't for her mother watching her like a hawk, she would've told him right there and then that his designs were outdated, and that she could do better if he had only stopped talking.)

But he didn't even notice she was there, he spent the night boasting about his inventions, not once ever asking about hers. - ( Once she couldn't take any more of his gloating, she snatched a drink from a passerby and splashed it on his face, causing a scene that nearly made Okoye double over.)

Surprisingly this year, Nakia didn't approach her to talk about it. ( Usually, she would sneak in a couple of boys, or girls, inside the lab in hopes that Shuri would walk out with a date, unfortunately, T'Challa had found out and kicked them out faster than they could say ' your highness.')

Then again, Nakia, who usually goes to the ball alone, with a sulking T'Challa -( " I never sulk.") watching from afar, didn't have to worry about that anymore.

Now, T'Challa doesn't have to be comforted by Okoye as he watches from the distance, and Nakia doesn't have to end up running away from her dates because she couldn't stop looking at his direction.

Now they'll attend the ball like a real couple. Hand in hand, smiling at each other, looking like two complete idiots in love.

Two idiots in love.

Shuri would be lying if she said that she didn't wonder what it feels like.To be loved, to love. It scared her, how often she's thought about it these days.

It started ever since T'Challa and Nakia got back together -( which is presumably right after taking back the throne from Killmonger.), and ever since then Nakia and T'Challa have been inseparable.

It made her feel lonelier than intended.

Everywhere she goes she would always see them, glued to the hip with mirroring smiles. It wasn't just them that has been acting like lovebirds.

Okoye and W'kabi are steadily trying to rebuild their relationship, after what W'kabi has done Shuri still finds it hard to believe that Okoye would find it in her heart to forgive him -( "You'll get it once you're older Shuri, just because someone loses their way doesn't mean that they are lost."), but then again the leader of the border tribe does seem apologetic for his actions.

Shuri creased her brows, confusion drowning her mind for the first time in many years. The feeling of uncertainty making her pace around her lab, and she finds herself wasting away the hours she usually uses to tinker on her tech on worrying about the new heavy feeling pressing against her ribcages.

She didn't want to admit it because Shuri Udaku doesn't worry about her love life.

No, she doesn't watch longingly at the teenagers her age holding hands on the streets.

She doesn't tighten her grip whenever T'Challa talks to her about how beautiful Nakia looked today.

She doesn't disguise an inaudible sigh as a yawn whenever her mother told her about her glory days with her father.

No, she doesn't any of those things.

That was until Shuri Udaku finds herself in America for the third time, and she finds herself staring at the love letter resting above her table.

After that, she begins to question what she truly wants.

━━━━━━━━━━━

I'm terribly sorry for the super duper late update !! I've been busy with school and my teachers have been mercilessly attacking me with quizzes and projects

I'm terribly sorry for the super duper late update !! I've been busy with school and my teachers have been mercilessly attacking me with quizzes and projects. Your girl is still alive but barely, and if it wasn't for you support I would've probably collapsed by now.

Thank you so much for all of the feedback, I'm sorry if this chapter was rushed or wasn't too good, please tell me your thoughts and feedbacks !

Thank you for waiting !

- Alylah xx