VI. MOTHER KNOWS BEST

YUI REYNOLDS is proud of what she had become.

She is proud to say that she had raised Brian Reynolds, a boy whose heart was bigger than his body, all by herself.

It wasn't her husband, that's for sure.

She kicked him out of the very house she had worked tooth and nail for, -( the very same one she had built upon the jars of pennies she had kept under her drawers from a long day of working down at the local rundown bar in her college years ) once she caught him in a phone booth with another woman.

She didn't leave Kyoto with anything but the clothes on her back just to weep over a drunk who wanted nothing to do with her son, so she ignored his sorries and decided to knock her fist against his jaw -( so hard that their wedding ring had left an ugly scar down the line of his neck) and told him to never come back.

She came to America for an adventure, for a fresh start, for a new life, and she found it.

After nearly twelve hours of agonizing labor, she found herself smiling down at the premature little bundle of joy.

Brian was such a humble name. Yet she gave no second thought on it, it suited him she realized, a few years later. He had never once raised his voice at her, always asking for permission, always saying thank you and sorry.

He was everything his father wasn't and it couldn't make her happier. Her little Brian had grown up without a father, and yet he never complained, never got angry, never rebelled.

One night she prayed to whoever was listening out there that she'll live to see him grow to become the father he never had.

But the universe isn't always so kind.

A few days later Yui Reynolds was lying on the floor with blood dripping down her lips, with her son by her side as he dialed 911.

A week later she was in the hospital, chained to machines as the doctors told her that she had an ugly tumor growing inside of her.

A month later, the very same tumor grew into vicious cancer, and Yui Reynolds was expected to live for only another year, and Brian wouldn't even be in college by then.

She was, to say the least, devastated.

Not by the fact that she would die in a couple of years, but the fact that she would be the one to leave Brian all alone.

Just like his father did.

So like hell is she going to let death take her that easily.

Not when her son needs her the most.

So with all the courage she could muster, Yuri Reynolds looked at her son in the eyes, watching his own hazel ones grow red and puffy,and laughed,"If you think some stupid disease is going to stop me from being your mother, you're wrong."

She had never seen someone so heartbroken yet happy, and she hopes that it would be the last.

━━━━━━━━━━━

" Ohio Oka-saan," Brian announced, peeking his head through the curtains, hands clutching against a box of chocolates.

His mother looked up from the book in her lap, smiling as he took a seat beside her," Ohio."

" You came earlier than usual," she chuckled, scooping him in for an embrace.

" That's because I have to leave earlier," He replied apologetically, hands clinging to the back of her hospital gown," I have, uh, school work."