IV. MORE THAN MEETS THE EYE

╔═════ ∘◦ ✾ ◦∘ ══════╗more than meets the eye !╚═════ ∘◦ ❈ ◦∘ ══════╝

╔═════ ══════╗
more than meets the eye !
╚═════ ══════╝

T'CHALLA UDAKU likes to think that Shuri Udaku is more than meets the eye.

His little sister is the head of science and technology in Wakanda, despite only turning sixteen last year.

She reminded him of great inventors, of noble scientists who's purpose in this world is to create and to invent.

Like, Tony Stark.

Tony Stark - ( " Really brother ? His tin suit is nothing but a toy.")the man who uses his suit to save the very same people who claim that he only cared about his wealth.

Tony Stark, the avenger who wakes up every day to fight for the greater good even if T'Challa knows that he's fighting a war within his mind.

He also knows boys like Peter Parker, who nearly fainted when he had stepped into the room - ( he still couldn't tell if it was because of him or the Dora Milaje, but he was flattered.)

Peter Parker, a boy who had instantly befriended Shuri in a matter of seconds, and made her feel in place in a world where she stands out.

Peter Parker, a teenager who would risk his life to save others who knew nothing about the hero under the mask.

He believes - no, he knows, that they  are brilliant people.

People who want to help change the world, people who want to stand up for what's right.

Shuri Udaku is no different.

From the moment T'Challa had caught her eying the rows of beakers and test tubes lined up against the laboratory wall when she was only four, he knew that his sister had an eye for discovery.

Eyes full of potential that T'Challa still sees inside her until today.

The little girl has started tinkering with the same equipment they are handling when she was nine, and by the time she was eleven she had a whole laboratory to herself.

- ( T'Challa had no idea how she has done it. She must've been blessed with Bast herself, with knowledge so great that it could conquer Algebra and Organic Chemistry in a matter of weeks when T'Challa could barely stand them in his teens.)

Day and night she would build and take apart vibranium, her hands would run over the broken parts of the machine and it would come out as new - as a whole.

- ( T'Challa had once crashed his car in anaccident, and as a teenager, he didn't want his baba to find out so he begged Shuri to fix it for him.In the end, his baba had known all along, but thought that it was a fair punishment to see T'Challa do Shuri favors for two whole months.)

Shuri Udaku was the reason that Wakanda is thriving.

T'Challa might have been the heart of Wakanda, but Shuri was the mind.

Without her, Wakanda would fall.

So when people underestimated her, he doesn't even bother to hide the smirk on his lips as he eagerly waits for her to prove them wrong.

- ( He couldn't forget the look on M'Baku's face when he saw what Shuri has done to the kingdom. It didn't take much to make him take back his words, the sight of vibranium lining along the walls of the city was enough to make him flush red. )

Shuri Udaku was unstoppable. With her calculating gaze and witty mouth, she could easily push T'Challa off his throne and conquer Wakanda. - ( T'Challa would even let her.)

However, he knew that his sister was content with the way things are. She was happy to be surrounded by her work, to be the one whispering in T'Challa's ears whenever he was on a mission, to be the one to support him from inside the castle walls.

So when he started to notice the quiet music ringing through the stark white walls of her lab instead of the usual upbeat ones that would always give him a headache, and the way she would absentmindedly gaze outside the window with her thoughts consuming her.

He started to question if she was really happy.

These days, her eyes would always be searching for something in the crowd.Roaming against the current of people, roaming from one person to another.

He didn't want to question her about it because Shuri would surely decline those accusations.

She would also change the topic to 'remember that embarrassing thing you did last summer? ' or to 'I took an ugly picture of you while you were sparring, should I send it to Nakia? '

That was until they went to Oakland, to visit the research center and saw her burst into his office one day with her hands behind her back, and for the first time in what seemed like forever, he saw her flush scarlet.

Her voice slightly wavering as he told him -

" I change my mind, I'll work with him. With Stark. In Manhattan."

" I thought you told me that his designs are ancient and primitive? " He didn't look up from his paperwork, not trying to look too surprised at the sudden decision.

" It is! But, " She faltered, and for a split second there was a look of uncertainty, but it was gone before T'Challa could ask her if she was alright.

" I think that this would be a good opportunity for me to boast to him about my designs. Also, I could visit Peter, and he can show me around Manhattan. The last time we met he told me that I would always be welcomed to stay with him and his aunt, I don't want to come off as rude and tell him no."

T'Challa gave her a look of uncertainty, his brows raised. But he knew better than to ask her why, and what was behind her back.

So he only picked up his phone to dial Tony Stark, who too, was surprised that she wanted to work with him. -( "Really ? I'll send Happy and Pepper to get her, this is great ! I always thought that she would think of me as some kind of amateur compared to what she's done.")

He also decided to call the Parker household, since Shuri insisted that she doesn't want him to buy an apartment ( - T'Challa had offered her the whole building to tighten the security.) and let the Dora Milaje stay with her.

The voice on the other end of the line was too excited for it to be Aunt May's - ( " T'Challa ! I meant, Y-your Highness ! Shuri would be staying with us ? I'll -I'll tell Aunt May right away, I'll make sure to clean up. Tell her, uh, tell her I said hi.")

T'Challa gave her another look as he slid his phone against the table.

" Shuri, why do you want to go to Manhattan so badly? There's no Disneyland there."

" I know, genius," She replied irritably,"I'm there for Stark."

" No you're not," he countered coolly,"You don't hate him, but you don't like him enough to make such a fuss."

" Maybe you're right," She huffed,"Maybe I just want to see Manhattan."

" What will you find in that city ?" He pressed on, stepping closer to crane his neck to see what she was shielding behind her jacket.

" Nothing," She replied a little too defensively, edging backward," I don't know yet. But you know what they say. There's more than meets the eye, brother."

The corners of his lips quirked, as he caught a glimpse of a letter dangling from her fingers, eying the address sprawled across it in neat cursive with curiosity," Maybe there is, sister."