Chapter 20: Memories

-Emily's POV-

By the time I've finished dropping everyone off and making sure they're safe, I'm exhausted. I text Sam to see if Dean and Ailith returned safely to bunker. Needing a break, I sit in my car and think about the events of the past 48 hours. 

Hanging out with Aida, Ailith wanted me to join her in Hell, finding out Lucifer's back, going to London with Aly, being with Aida again, being captured, being tortured, and finally Aida's death. I bury my face in my hands and sob. I haven't really had the time to grieve Aida. It all happened so quick. Now that I'm alone, it really sinks in. Aida and I met when we were four, and have been best friends, ever since.

It's my first day of school, ever, and I have no friends. Most of the kids know at least one other kid, but I know no one. At recess, I sit in the sandbox, alone, too nervous to talk to the other kids. Suddenly, a girl approaches me, smiling.

"Hi," she says and sits down next to me. "What's your name?" 

"Emily," I say quietly, surprised she sat next to me.

She smiles again, making me smile. "That's pretty. My name's Aida."

"You have a pretty name, too," I say, and she blushes.

"Can I play with you?" she asks.

I smile and nod. "Yes."

That was the first time I ever met Aida, and I smile at the memory and wipe away more tears that fall from my eyes. I think back to the time when we were seven, and I first found out about my powers. Then, to the time I was nine, and I found out more. I think back to when we were 14 and we had our first kiss. Then, I remember the time when I first told her I loved her. 

It's a beautiful summer day, and Aida and I decided to go on a hike. We're almost to the top as clouds start to loom over us. I want to go back, but Aida insists that the clouds will past. After some coercing from Aida, we continue up the hill.  Despite the clouds, it's still hot and humid. When we get to the top where the lake is, I no longer regret not turning back. It's beautiful up here.

"Let's get in," Aida says as she takes off her clothes to reveal her swimsuit. 

The winds starting to pick up and the clouds still haven't gone away. "Aida, it's about to storm."

"So, we're gonna be wet anyway," she says as dips her toe in. 

I shake my head at her and sit down. "I'm just gonna sit here."

"Your loss," she says as she goes in. "The water's not bad," she tempts me, and I shake my head again. 

Aida swims for a bit, and I just watch her. The wind picks up even more, and the current in the water picks up as well. "If you're not careful, that currents gonna whip you away."

Rolling her eyes, Aida starts to swim back to shore. "Fine," she says getting out. Thunder rumbles off in a distance, and the sky darkens even more. When I give Aida a concerned look, she says, "It's far off. We'll be fine." We move our stuff to the edge of the treeline, and it guards us against some of the heavy winds. 

Aida and I sit in silence as we watch the chaos unfurl around us. We watch as the wind moves the water current faster. Leaves and small twigs blow around us in the dark sky. Even amidst all this chaos, I feel oddly calm. There's something very serene about the storm, and I take in a deep breath.

"I don't know why, but it's beautiful," I say.

"Told you," Aida mocks as she rests her head on my shoulder. "It reminds me of you," she whispers. "Chaotic, yet beautiful."