5. Escaping

"We have to run, hurry!" he said as he grabbed my arm and broke into a sprint. i followed and ran. i was faster than him, so i quickly took the lead.

i tried to take a direct path to the bus center. I didn't even pay attention to what we were passing.

Bonnie skidded to a stop and yanked me back.

"Bon! wait!" he yelled.

i nearly fell again. "What? what happened?!" I asked with worry filling my voice.

He just pointed to a building. i couldn't see which one it was.

"It's the school." he explained. "I have to at least leave a note for my friends."

I nodded. he took out a notepad from his back pocket and a pen. he scribbled something down and pulled me towards the high school.

Once we were near the main doors. he stopped. he looked at the ground and picked something up.

" I usually wait for Fox at this bench before class starts." he stated. He walked towards a wooden bench near the entrance and put the note under a rock so that it wouldn't be blown away.

i nodded. he looked at me and did the same. "Alright, now we can go."

I nodded again and began walking towards the transit center. i was a little out of breath from all the running.  He was too. We walked in silence for the most part.

"So... any idea which bus we're going to take?" i asked him once the station was in sight.

He nodded. "there's bus that'll takes us to the city near the beach. it's a 2 hour ride but i think once we get there we'd be far away enough to stay there for a while."

I nodded, wondering how he knew this much about the bus schedules.

once we made it to the parking lot of the bus station. i squinted to try and see the time on the clock tower. The time read 4:55 AM.

Bonnie smiled. "Great! the first bus leaves at 5! we made it just in time!"

We used the last of our energy to make it on the bus. Bonnie pulled out two 5 dollar bills and handed the to the person at the ticket window. he gave me a ticket and we stepped onto the bus.

i looked around at the other passengers. it was mostly men and women in suits with briefcases either sleeping or on laptops. Bonnie and i looked so out of place.

But he didn't seem to notice or just didn't care, he just led me to a pair of seats near the mostly-empty back and sat down at the window seat. i sat next to him. i was just realizing how exhausted i was. I hadn't had a good night's sleep in days and just spent the night running around the city.

I looked over at Bonnie and saw him peering out the window.

"Hey, i think i might fall asleep." i yawned.

he looked at me and smiled. "Alright, I'm used to staying up late, i mostly sleep in class anyways. I'll wake you up when we get there." he said softly.

i smiled and nodded. "Okay, night." i mumbled as i leaned my head against my shoulder and closed my eyes.

And with that, i fell into the most peaceful sleep that i had had all week.