Taking Actions

Taking Actions.

When the bell rang for the students to go home, Mr. Radcliffe reacted obliviously to Emily's existence and unthinkingly ... he asked her to stay behind.

Butterflies in her stomach, along with wobbly knees and shaky hands, Emily obeyed.

There were a few awkward silences before Mr. Radcliffe even spoke, though.

What in God's name was he even doing? He could not control himself around her. Nor could she, for that matter. The two of them were frighteningly aware of what was going on and had been for weeks. He, mesmerised by her beauty and her kind heart, and she by his perfect features and gentle personality.

"I... err... I'm -- I'm sorry!" stuttered Mr Radcliffe, his cheeks blushing ever so slightly. Emily's heart throbbed uncontrollably; like an out of control bird jerking in its nest. However, in comparison to that, Mr. Radcliffe's sank deeply; floating down to the tip of his toes. "You may leave. I-I'm very sorry for taking up your time."

"It's quite alright," muttered Emily, somehow not wanting to leave. "Do you need help with anything, sir?" She smiled smiled across to him, grinning. Mr Radcliffe's eyes smiled as well as his mouth as he noticed a stack of boxes were mounted in the left corner of his classroom.

That'll do.

"As a matter of a fact," Mr Radcliffe said, rising up from his chair. "If you wouldn't mind helping me put away your Christianity text book's, then..." Why was he asking her for help? With nobody else in the school. Good grief, he had to get out of here before --

*

"Almost done, sir!" chuckled Emily, then she asked, in a quiet voice, "but can you bring down the last one please? I'm too small for my stumpy legs."

Automatically the teacher smiled at her, bobbed his head then brought the box down effortlessly. The two of them smiled at each other while they unpacked the boxes of English text books. Emily didn't know why she felt so comfortable around her teacher, whom she thought as being a little bold, but one thing she did know was that he actually enjoyed her company - it made her feel appreciated. Wanted!

When it was time to go, the clock struck five o' clock exactly. Emily was gobsmacked as she never thought unpacking six boxes would take more than an hour and a half.

"Where do you live?" asked Mr. Radcliffe; trying to hide his anxiousness behind a mask of nonchalant smiles.

"I... Umm..." Emily stopped, feeling ashamed of letting her teacher know where she lived. After all it was located in run-down area in which its reputation was one not to be misjudged. "Just outside of Town. Behind Gleed's Meadow." She smiled weakly, jerking her head left. "If I go for my bus the now, though, I should be home by half five."

And after tucking her chair in, she picked up her school bag and walked towards the door. However she came to an immediate half when Mr. Radcliffe's voice swam to her... again.

"Would you like a lift home?" he asked. Instantly his eyes shut tight and he turned around, averting her own piercing gaze. "I mean... You - uhhh - you don't know what things lurk on those buses at night."

"I know," Emily sighed. My Radcliffe immediately pictured his niece inside his mind. If a man, even if he were the same age as Mr Radcliffe - of twenty-four - ever touched his niece, he would so much as break the paedophile's little - "OK then!" replied Emily rather quickly, breaking up the teacher's angry thoughts.

On their journey home, with help of Emily's directions, Mr Radcliffe managed to take Emily to the right house. He observed during the jounrey how the poor girl was just as tense as he was. Her hands shook, and she clasped them numerously, trying to hide it. Mr Radcliffe, when getting the urge to speak with her - get answers to those questions - contained himself and clutched tighter at his steering wheel. It wasn't until twenty minutes later when Mr Radcliffe discovered that it wasn't just 'down there' and he understood her humiliation of avoiding on naming this district.