Emily's Unforgettable Birthday Present

From the moment Mr Radcliffe and Emily Clark arrived from Mr Radcliffe's cabin, their feelings were more than neutral to each other. They were out in the open, just between the two. Mr Radcliffe truly and passionately loved Emily, and she him.

The date on Emily's new but smashed alarm clock was November 21st, one day before her 17th birthday. Emily dreaded the presents her mum and dad had organised to give her; she dreaded the birthday wishes she'd be getting in school; she dreaded her birthday kiss from Paul. But one thing Emily did not dread was the birthday surprise Mr. Radcliffe had in store for her.

Mr. Radcliffe's surprise for Emily was nothing big. Well, when he thinks nothing big, he generally means it'll be no hassle to undergo. Mr. Radcliffe is going to finish with his wife. He has the divorce papers. He has enough money put aside if he loses his job, and most importantly, he has Emily; which is all he'll ever need in this world. He knew that Emily would give up everything for him, for she had ready expressed so to him countless times before. They were finally going to take the stand with their forbidden love, and show what could come of it!

"Babe, I said I was sorry about last week!" Paul implored to Emily, with affectionate eyes. She tried to smile, but she couldn't. Emily had no intentions or feelings towards Paul whatsoever. Perhaps she had those of a friend, but never those of a lover.

"It's fine." Emily whispered. "But I'm not changing my mind, Paul... I just think we're best to... calm down a bit. You know, I'm not ready for commitment." Emily lied. The two were in the middle of the cafeteria, sitting down at a cramped table while the first years busied themselves behind them.

Paul stared furiously at Emily. How dare she, of all people, finish with me? He gulped, trying his absolute best to contain his anger, before muttering sternly, "Please, Emmy... Just give me another chance?"

"Paul don't make me say something I'll later forget." Emily said, taking a sip from her water bottle where she the placed it back onto her table. Paul rose up from his chair, then, furious, he kicked at the table and stormed off, leaving Emily awkwardly sitting alone; just staring into the bubbles of her water.

She had done right. It had to be done. Now Emily was all Mr. Radcliffe's, and in some short time he'd be all hers.

Emily had arranged to meet with Mr. Radcliffe the evening before her birthday. However unfortunate for them both Mr. Radcliffe had to cancel. For he had to visit his deceased sister in law's child, which would be about a two hour drive. Gutted about the sudden arrangements, Emily sat in her bedroom and did what most teenager's are prone to do. She painted her nails, straightened her hair umpteen times trying out all different kinds of hair styles. Bored with this she sat on the end of her bed listening to music, reading furniture magazines. Then, suddenly, she received a text. She flipped her flip phone up and read the text. It was from Mr. Radcliffe, asking her to meet up at his house for an early birthday surprise. Emily was ecstatic; the thought of Mr. Radcliffe organising something for her was very arousing.

Emily left her house, dressed casually with jeans and a top at 11:05pm. Her mum never objected to this, but her dad did. Emily used a feeble excuse of Paul planning a romantic picnic with candles in the park. Unsatisfied, her dad agreed to let her out. But after Emily left, John and Ava latter had another of their full-blown arguments.

Emily ran around her house and stopped at the ending of the curb, where her parents couldn't see her, and phoned for a taxi. On her journey to Sheil-Walk Avenue, she reread his text. He never informed her where his wife was... Hmm. Emily let her mind wander; wander as far as the idea of her still being home. Emily was tempted to stop the taxi driver, when it had seemingly already arrived at her destination and stopped himself. The cab driver asked for his money and, apprehensive, she paid him then walked towards her teacher's house, chapping anxiously on the door.