CHAPTER TWO

"Spring blooms and you find the love that's true

But you don't know what now to do.

'Cause the chase is all you know

And she stopped running months ago.

And all you see is where else you could be 

When you're at home.

Out on the street are so many possibilities To not be alone."

//

Ivy was frustratingly tapping the keys on her MacBook while the cold Connecticut wind nipped at her exposed skin.  

Honestly, Ivy would not be in this position right now if Rosemary and Juliet weren't dead-set on showcasing apartment 247B, their apartment, at every single rave they threw. It wouldn't have been a big deal really if they didn't have a party on the days that end in 'y'. 

But, they were throwing a party, and so Ivy followed through with her normal routine: socialize at the party for thirty minutes tops - ten, if the people were exceptionally dimwitted, grab a coffee from the bar that which was normally the drink designated to those that had to sober up before driving or walking home, say hi to Marty since he was almost always the bartender at these outrageous parties, grab her school bag, textbooks - in the off chance she felt compelled to study, a copy of the latest book she was reading - in this case, it was The Sun Also Rises by Hemingway, and her portable laptop. Then, she would hide her prized typewriter underneath her bed and lock the door to her bedroom up so that her bed couldn't be used for - uh, questionable - activities and trudge out of the apartment in a whirlwind of desperation. 

Ivy was never the most social person in the world. She had her small group of friends and her books - that was all she had ever needed, really. Despite her completely antisocial tendencies, Ivy was normally quite charismatic and pleasant to be around when she did choose to voice her opinions.

So, here she was, typing away on her computer trying to complete the article Doyle had assigned to her that week about the Persian Gulf situation. Personally, Ivy was a pacifist, but many people collectivize it with stupidity. Ivy saw no problem in advocating for total peace, but she was also a realist - so she knew that her ultimate goal of pacifying the whole world into a peaceful slumber would probably never materialize.

She was at the peak of her writing frenzy, and she almost thought she was going to be able to pull an all nighter and finish the whole article when the door to the roof busted open with a chaotic banging sound as the metal door clashed with the red brick behind it.

The next thing Ivy knew, she was witnessing a full-on makeout session between some blond womanizer and a random blonde bimbo. As she pushed him up against the brick wall, unafraid and unaware of Ivy's company, Ivy caught a glimpse of the boy's face. 

She was surprised to find out that the mystery man was none other than Logan, the boy she had run into at the coffee cart a couple of days ago. From that isolated interaction with the boy, she could tell that he was quite used to having female company and she guessed that he was accustomed to getting his way. 

She didn't know why, but she could definitely tell that Logan was not as into it as the unidentified girl was. With that observation, Ivy decided to noticeably clear her voice which caught Logan's attention, but not the girl's. 

She was whining and asking why he stopped kissing her before Logan nodded over to where Ivy stood and distanced himself from her. Ivy slung her legs off of the ledge they were laying on, being careful to keep her computer from dropping to the cemented floor, before giving them a knowing look.

"I - uh - I thought this was the designated hook-up spot," Logan clarified to Ivy. Ivy slowly nodded her head, unsure as to where they had gotten the wrong information.

The unknown girl whispered to Logan, "But, I thought you knew some random girl was up here? Isn't that what Rosemary told you?"

Logan verbally shook off the idea, hoping that Ivy hadn't heard it - but she had, "No, Claudia - you misremember things."

Ivy smirked, but let the situation slide, "Yeah, well this seems to be a lover's quarrel."

With that she stood up, closed her laptop, and slipped it into her schoolbag with her textbooks. Slinging the bag over her left shoulder, she passed Logan with a knowing smirk before giving a simple statement, "I'll let you guys continue, but you are quite possibly the worst liar I have ever met in my entire life Huntzberger."

Logan scratched the back of his head in embarrassment and gave her one of his million dollar smiles as Ivy slipped down the stairs, heading back to her dorm.

He couldn't help but get a sinking feeling in the pit of his stomach when Claudia reattached her lips with his. 

[UNEDITED]

[WORD COUNT - 789]

Comment, vote, share, follow, or just anything to let me know how you guys feel about it.

QUOTED SONG: Your Heart is an Empty Room - Death Cab for Cutie