CHAPTER NINE

LOGAN was not accustomed to feeling nervous

LOGAN was not accustomed to feeling nervous. In fact, in all his life he could not recall feeling this nervous; not even when his father found out about his disdain for taking over the Huntzberger newspaper enterprise someday, and he thought he was wavering towards being a cardiac arrest patient then

As he sat in the train car, drinking the whiskey he coaxed the bartender to provide him with despite his lack of being of legal age, he was contemplating whether or not this was a good idea. Ivy had not expressed much interest in seeing him again, and showing up at her childhood home unannounced could give off a desperate, borderline-creepy impression; he couldn't help it, though - hell, he was desperate. Never in his life had he ever been kissed like that, and, though she would never admit it, he was pretty sure Ivy felt the same.

Despite all of this and his overarching wish to be with, who he was beginning to think was, the girl of his dreams, he was not so sure this was a good idea. From the little that he has heard about Ivy, she seems to have a similar commitment problem when it comes to the romance department. Ivy was known to be a heartbreaker around campus, and Logan had never exactly been known to be boyfriend material in the first place. With their combined total lack of commitment, he was sure that this would end up like all of their other flings seemed to end up - forgotten about and in the past.

Yet, something inside of him was overriding all rationality and historical precedence. Never would he have done anything half as romantic as a spontaneous, unannounced visit before. He was not sure if this newfound will to commit was a result of age and maturity, or if Ivy Christiana was his romantic reckoning. 

He was more confident about the latter. 

His pensive state drew to a close as the drain pulled into Star Hollow's sorry excuse for a depot. Stepping out onto the wooden platform, the only other structures in sight were a lone ticket booth accompanied by two equally-desolate wooden benches. 

"Small town charm," Logan scoffed.

Walking up to the ticket booth, the attendant greeted him enthusiastically, clearly not used to having many visitors, "Oh, thank God! I was beginning to wonder if this job was even real. I'm Kirk! How can I help you?"

Kirk was a gangly, strangely-long fellow, who happened to carry all of his weight in his middle. His pale face and goofy demeanor oddly matched the way he looked, complete with a rubber ducky patterned tie. 

"Yeah, uhm -" Logan laughed to himself, he wasn't sure how this was about to come off, "I kind of came here looking for someone."

Kirk contorted his eyebrows into a confused expression; Stars Hollow rarely had any personal visitors because living in the town itself was a social clique enough, "Who are you looking for?"

"Ivy -" Logan was about to finish her last name when Kirk cut him off promptly.

"Christiana. Yeah, I could point you towards her home, but she's probably not there."

"Not there?" Logan asked, partially with intrigue and partially with total disbelief. He could have sworn he heard Ivy mention something about going home this weekend.

"Yeah," Kirk nodded with a patronizing "I-know-something-you-don't-know" voice, "I could probably point you in the right direction, but it might cost 'ya."

"This isn't a True Detective," Logan deadpanned, "I'm not paying you off."

"Then good luck finding her," Kirk said and dramatically pulled down a metal door that separated the teller from the client, until Logan caught the door halfway through it's journey to lift it back up again.

"Fine," Logan scoffed, pulling a five dollar bill out of his pocket and handing it to Kirk through the small semi-circle cutout at the bottom of the plexiglass. 

Kirk inspected the bill, then Logan's outfit, "Hm, is that a Rolex?"

Logan rolled his eyes, catching the implication quite well, and he pulled out another twenty dollars shoving it towards the cutout as he mumbled out to himself, "Real small town charm you guys have here."

"Thank you, we pride ourselves on it," Kirk smiled, pocketing the money and totally missing the sarcastic social cue. 

"You'll find her with Mason," Kirk stated nonchalantly.

"Mason?" Logan couldn't help the jealousy that bubbled in him at the sound of another boy's name being used in conjunction with Ivy's whereabouts this late at night.

"Yeah," Kirk began, "I spotted them earlier tonight at the movie theater I work at. They were watching Willy Wonka, but if you ask me, Mason was far more interested in his company, if you know what I mean."

"Okay," Logan tried not to see red as he was wondering if it was too late for his chance with the only girl that has held his attention for longer than a day, "Well then, where can I find Mason?"

"I think I saw his Corolla parked down the road from Ivy's house, actually," Kirk explained what road Ivy lived on in terms of town monuments and was about to send Logan on his way before ignorantly adding, "Those Corollas must not have good ventilation systems for the cold. The windows were far too steamy for my liking. I would not recommend purchasing one if you're ever in the market for a cheap car."

Logan's jaw clenched at this, knowing exactly what it meant even though Kirk seemed to be oblivious to it himself, "Thanks."

Logan set off down the block in search of the Corolla that he wasn't sure would make it through the night intact what with his clenched fist and the gut-wrenching anger chorusing through his veins. 

He didn't even blame Ivy. Not really.

He couldn't expect her to believe that he would ever want anything serious or exclusive, what with his reputation. He also wasn't entirely sold on the idea that Ivy would reciprocate his newfound wish to become serious about a relationship. 

That's why self-loathing filled his entire being as he saw the steam emanating from the exact Corolla that he was sure he would find her in. Praying to a God that he never believed in, Logan was begging the universe to not let it be too late for them. He wasn't sure he would ever feel this way about another person again, and he wanted the opportunity to explore these feelings before they're ripped away prematurely and permanently. He was emotionally stunted enough, and if this did not work out, he wasn't sure where that would leave him.

Approaching the car with caution, Logan was relieved to see that both occupants were up front, fully-clothed, and seemed to be in deep conversation. Maybe Kirk was right; maybe they weren't doing what he had originally envisioned, though a little pit at the bottom of his stomach told him they were just through with the worst and he would be ignorant to assume they hadn't.

Logan knocked on the window of the passenger's side with vigor, and Ivy jumped with terror at the sound.

Rolling the window down and letting the steam emit itself into the cold night, Ivy had unshed tears in her eyes as she looked at the familiar tuft of blond hair in front of her, "Logan?"

[UNEDITED]

[12/17/2020]

[word count - 1,254]