VIII- The Morning After

THE MORNING AFTER

AUDREY

Roman is gone by the time I awake the next morning.

After nearly crying for the rest of what remained of the night, I wake to feel groggy, my throat parched and my head feeling as though it's been battered open. I didn't get much sleep, only two hours max. Meanwhile, Roman had none. I figured while I had been crying he'd left to sleep elsewhere, but he remained awake, seated on one of the armchairs until I tired myself out around five in the morning.

Angry tears rush to the surface as I bitterly recall last nights dispute. I throw my face into a pillow and yell out until my voice cracks down into sobs. The wound is still fresh and it still bleeds red. Knowing the man I confided my life to, had gone around to stab me behind my back so crucially shreds me apart.

I sit up on the bed and grab two fistfuls of my hair, not wanting to believe it, but it's true. Every questionable doubt now puzzles together and every suspicion begins to make sense.

Why else had my uncle's estate been surrounded with so many young girls I wasn't allowed to talk too? Why was it so fishy those girls would have to be locked up at night if they were just guest?

I always thought of it to be weird when once every week a number of strange men would arrive out back and I would notice after that, girls would leave and new ones would arrive. As curious as I was, I wouldn't try to pry. My uncle left it very clear that one afternoon after he'd caught me sneaking into the shed out back that I would be punished next time I was caught being nosey.

A frustrating cry leaves my throat and I barely register what I am doing. Before I know it, I am throwing a fit throughout the room. Allowing the red haze burning in my chest be the guide to my actions. I hear the distinct sound of tables crashing, glass shattering, and the walls being battered on. Two hands grip my wrist and I let out a scream. Then an arm bands around my waist, pulling me off the ground. I thrash to free myself, but the arm around my waist is tight.

"Hey, hey, Audrey--baby, listen to me." there's a hand lightly patting my cheek. Roman's worried face crowds my vision. Through the veil of tears, I meet his eyes.

"Are you with me?" the glow shearing through me faints and the anger falls light. I mutely nod my head, tears still falling.

Roman cradles my face in his large palms. "You have to calm down, baby. Don't beat yourself up over this, okay?"

"I believe you, Roman. Those girls, I've seen them but ... why did he do it? I trusted him." I cried out. Roman pulls me into his embrace and holds me as I continue to cry. By the time my tears ease, my eyes feel wrung and my legs feel weak. I'm numb from all the crying and it feels so good being held in Roman's arms, I almost let out a protest when he breaks away.

"How about you take a nice shower and after I'll have your favorite served downstairs when you're done. Does that sound appetizing?" I manage to give him a small smile and nod.

He gives me one of his own and leans forward for a kiss on the forehead. "Good, now go on in there. I'll have your clothes set after you're done."

Roman ushers me to the shower. I do as he suggested and take my time. For the first few minutes, I stand under the shower allowing the water to wash away my worries. By the time I am done and out, I could smell the sweet aroma of french toast and eggs wavering in the air. It makes my mouth water and my stomach growl. I step out of the shower wrapped in a fluffy towel and head into the bedroom. Seeing the mess circling around me leaves me in great shock. I can't believe I've done this.

There's a pile of clothes neatly folded on the bed. As I pick them out, they unfold to be a loose grey shirt, black leggings, and a matching set of white bra and underwear. I slip on a pair of flats I found in the closet and throw my wet hair in a messy bun.

Now to work. I pick the shattered pieces of glass and pile them in one. I do my best and fix up the couches, only the shreds of the ripped fabric peek through the cushions. There is dirt from the plant's soil scattered over the floor and I do my best to sweep it with my hands. I honestly can't believe I had it in me to cause such destruction.

"What are you doing?" I look over my shoulder to find Roman standing by the doorway, his arms crossed over his chest.

"I'm picking up my mess," I mumbled sheepishly.

He shakes his head in disapproval and comes to help me up. "Leave it. I'll have someone take care of this. You need to eat something." He takes me to the bathroom and orders me to wash my hands.

"You could've hurt yourself," he murmured as he dries my hands. "One slip and the glass could've pierced your skin."

I shrug my shoulders. "It's not really that big of a deal." I could feel the heat of his eyes glare down my head, but pay no mind.

He takes me by the hand and leads me downstairs to the patio doors. The table outside is topped with food that'd last one days to eat.

Roman pulls my seat and I take my place. He takes his seat in front and unfolds his napkin. I do the same with my own and settle on picking out my food.

We eat in silence. By the time I devour everything, my stomach is as bloated as a pregnant woman's stomach. I slump against my seat and I meet eyes with Roman. He holds a look of amusement and a small smile curves his lips. "Man, you can eat. For a second I wasn't sure whether you could stomach all of that."

I shrug my shoulders. "What can I say? I love food."

Roman seems to be in a playful mood despite the heavy look of exhaustion in his face from the loss of sleep. I contemplate whether to bring up last night and apologize on my behalf as well as ask for any more information he had on my uncle ... well, Antonio. But I didn't want to spoil the mood and I didn't want to be the one to add fuel to the fire. Last night he scared me. The way he abruptly jumped off the bed and stalked around the room with eyes ready to kill took me back to the day he came for me. I honestly believed he was going to hurt me.

"Why don't we go on a walk?" He suggests as he stood from his seat. I couldn't decline the offer seeing he was already up and addy. He helped me from my seat and together we stride along the open path leading down the oceans shore.

We walked down in silence. His eyes gaze thoughtfully out onto the ocean. He looks at peace, though I see him contemplating inside. He seems to sense my gaze because he turns and locks eyes with mine. There is something about his eyes that scratches the surface of a buried founding in my head. Who are you?

I bite back the question, but the second is out before I could swallow.

"Why me?"

He comes to a stop at the end of the path and closes up to me. I didn't flinch when his hands came to cup either side of my face in his palms nor did I pull away when his lips descended on mine. But my heart came to a sudden pause when he whispered,

"Because you were mine, to begin with."