VII - Awake at Night

Roman

Beside me, a small body stirs me awake. I ignore it, thinking it was only Audrey shifting in her sleep, but it becomes more urgent. Audrey writhes in my arms, the warmth of her bare soft skin rubs against mine as she intends to break free. I tighten my grip around her waist and draw her closer to where her body's flushed against mine, and her sweet feminine scent touches my nose.

"Roman," she whines softly, her small hands pushing at my arm. "I really need to pee."

I contemplate whether to let her go or have her wet the bed. She feels too good in my arms, so soft and warm, I don't want to let her go. But I know she'd rather hold it in than wet the sheets.

Breathing in a heavy sigh I force myself off her with a groan and lie flat on my back. "Be quick," I murmur, my voice coming out rougher than intended from sleep.

The bed shifts as she moves and I peek open an eye to catch a sweet glimpse of her tight round ass before it disappears behind the bathroom door. My dick jumps in response and I swear under my breath. My balls have been aching and my cock's been throbbing since I've undressed her earlier, with her sleeping naked in my arms only intensified the primal male urge to possess and dominate.

I let out a groan of frustration as I rubbed my palms over my face to keep me awake. My eyelids are heavy with sleep, but I force them open until Audrey arrives back. She's quick as I asked, her petite body swiftly making her way back to bed. I open the covers, welcoming her in and she slides next to me. Once she's settled in bed and I have her tugged right beside me, I surrender myself to sleep.

"How'd you know?" the small whisper breaks through my sleep.

I hug her tighter from behind and place a kiss on her head. "Go to sleep, kitten."

I wasn't willing to discuss this now, not when she passed out after nearly crying for over an hour. And I didn't think it was the proper time either. It was a little after two in the morning and I'm exhausted from all the paperwork and the tedious via conference call that took up most of my afternoon. I wanted to get enough sleep because in a matter of hours I had to be up early to return from where we left off on the call yesterday and I had to be focused to avoid from getting fucked.

Audrey turns in my arms to face me. The room is dark but her face is clear in the moonlight. The open blinds reveal the soft gaze in her warm brown eyes.

"Please," her eyes glitter with tears.

Fuck, I mentally curse in my head. There's that nagging in the back of my head again and I have to bite back my tongue to keep from having the truth spill. I wish it were just that simple. I wish I could just run my mouth and not worry about the after effects but it's so damn hard. It hurts me to see her cry even more knowing it's I who caused her suffering. I regretted horribly breaking her down that way, but it's upsetting when the one you care for the most pushes you away.

I fall to my back, all traces of sleep abandoning me. Audrey raises herself up by her elbow, holding the sheet up to cover her naked torso and waits for my answer.

"You promise to let me sleep after?"

"I promise."

I rest my arm behind my head and stare up at the ceiling. "I was well acquainted with your family and through them, I learned a lot about you. Your parents and I negotiated much and as you know your family was head of the Southern arms trade and me, head of the Northern."

"As for your thoughts and feelings, I read them off your diary."

I peered down at her only to find her look strangely disappointed, but she quickly recovers.

"If you knew my parents, how come I've never heard or met you before?" she asked softly.

"Our meetings were done much via phone call. We met personally if it was a mattered issue, but I strictly preferred it'd just be your mother and father to meet. I liked discretion."

She looks to be in thought, her eyes focus elsewhere. For a minute, I believe she's done for tonight but as her eyes meet mine I realize she wasn't completely honest with that promise.

"If you've never met me then why'd you take me? Why did you kidnap me? Was it something my parents did?" with every question she leans forward. "I just need to know why I'm here."

I shift comfortably back onto my side. "You promised to let me sleep if I answered your question and I did. Now let's go back to sleep. I have to get an early start of the day."

I attempt to draw her back to me, but she doesn't budge. She remains in place, her eyes begging for a response. I let out an exasperated sigh and sit up against the bed's backboard. Audrey follows, turning on the lamp by her bedside. This is going to be a long night.

"Please, Roman. I'm just trying to understand why--"

"I had to protect you, Audrey. I had to get you out of there before it was too late."

She sits up on her knees, still clutching the sheets protective over her. "From what, Roman? I was perfectly--"

"No!" I roar. Audrey shrinks back, eyes widening with fear. "Don't you fucking tell me you were good when you had no idea what that bastard had in mind for you! I hope that son of a bitch rots in hell for all his sins."

I'm barely aware of the fact I'm off the bed, angrily pulling my pants on. I pace the room with my hair caught in my fists to avoid from striking out. I breathe in heavily through my nose trying to ease the violent rush to lash out, but I can't help control the rage brewing my blood from inside.

"W-what?" Audrey's voice is barely a whisper. Her face has gone stark white and her brown eyes grow wide on her small face. "Don't tell me you ... oh god, please don't--"

"Antonio Gallo is dead, Audrey." I don't miss the gasp followed by the choked sob.

It's a fact that brings me some contentment, it was only a shame death came in too quickly. That fucker deserved pain for what he's done.

"Don't cry for him, kitten. He wasn't a good man--"

"He wasn't?" she all but shouts, looking almost offended. "My uncle took care of me after my parents abandon me. For two years he took responsibility for someone who wasn't even his blood, and you expect me not to cry for him?"

Fury balls within me once more. "You're gonna shed tears for a pedophile? For a rapist who abducted, pimped, and auctioned off little girls who were barely out of their teens?"

Audrey appears to look taken back, shocked by the news. But her eyes squint as angry tears prick her eyes. "You're lying! My uncle would never do that, he wasn't that kind of a man-"

"Oh, please Audrey." I rudely cut her off, unable to believe that bullshit she's spitting. "Everyone knew Gallo's organization dealt with drug and human trafficking. He was a wanted fucking man."

"If I hadn't come in sooner he would've wed you to his nephew then killed you once they had your fortune under their possession. The only reason why he hadn't done it sooner was that I was still alive to interfere."

Audrey looks away, but I see the ball of tears running down her cheeks. Seeing her this way makes me feel like a complete ass and all I wished to do was hug her and comfort her, but fury overpowers that sense.

"Is that why you have me here then?" she whispers fiercely. "So you could be the one to take what I own?"

I scoff, "I don't use the people I care about to get what I want nor do I feign to be someone I am not to gain one's trust. You should begin to understand I am not like your deceiving family, Audrey."