Standing Up~ Chapter One

The room suddenly grows cold, Lance growls. It's Keith trying to mess him up again! That's all he does! Yeah, they're sparring, but Keith doesn't have to make it so cold all the time! Lance looks around for the mullet-haired boy, the boy is running in circles to trap him. Lance listens to his heartbeat, locking into him. His eyes glow an electric blue, smoke surrounding them, Keith stops running and stands still, looking at Lance blankly.

   "Now, listen to me carefully," his voice is low, alluring and demanding, "you will fix what you have done, and you are going to forfeit the match," Lance smiles with a more sweet tone slipping in his poison filled voice.

   Keith does as he was told fixing the heat and falling to the floor. The words have flowed through his ears like a soft song, yet his body could no longer in control.

   Lance laughs, cheering. It never works on Keith and he just did it. After years of trying, he was finally able to beat Keith in a match. "Ha! That worked! I wasn't—"

   "Lance! I've told you! No mind control! You may only get in their head, not control them! Keith listens to me about temperature ranges! You have to listen!" Shiro's voice is filled with anger and poison. He doesn't mean it, he's just been under too much stress lately — Lance knows this, but it doesn't make him feel any better.

   "I-I'm sorry Shiro," Lance sinks, sitting down, looking over to Keith as he gets up. That stupid mullet-head! Lance has been compared to him since day one! It's not fair! Lance works just as hard, if not harder, than him. He just wants to be as good as him. It's not fair. Lance can't even use his full ability because this hot— hot-headed jerk always snitches! Lance is basically a weakling with these restrictions! He can't do anything because he might accidentally hurt someone.

   But Keith gets a stupid temperature restriction, Lance has a whole set of his powers restricted! He can't use mind control, he can't use his whispering to actually control the people, he's not allowed to do anything that could be 'harmful' to others! Like Lance would hurt someone in here. He can't do anything except lock onto someone, and nothing else.

   "Lance!" The yell knocks Lance out of his trace, they sound worried.

   "Huh?" he asks, turning to the voice.

   "I said that you did a good job, I don't care what Shiro says, that was awesome," Hunk smiles, fiddling with his dog tags. "Better than my power, anyway."

   "Hunk, don't sell yourself short. You have a really awesome power," Lance smiles. Lance really hates when his friends are mean to themselves — if they're overcritical, selling themselves short, working too hard, etc, he doesn't care he still hates it — and he thinks that makes him a hypocrite. He hates that word too. Lance hates a lot of things.

   Hunk looks away from Lance. "Sorry. I just get a little, a little jealous, you know? Lance, you can literally control people and their thoughts, read their thoughts, talk to them through their thoughts! You can track people down by getting in their head! I can control metal and heat or cool it," Hunk — despite being over six feet tall and two hundred and twenty two pounds — always looks so small when he talked about his ability. His chocolate brown eyes filled with self doubt, Hunk hasn't learned how to hide it like Lance has.

   "Hey, hey, your power is really cool, you make these cute little trinkets for us! Pidge will never say it, but we love them," Lance smirks making Hunk smile. "Plus, I can't do all that. As of right now, I can only control people and their thoughts, I'm still working on reading thoughts and projecting them.

   "What the— oh my god. Oh my god," Keith paces back and forth at a normal speed. "He was in my head? Was it me or him who spoke? He just? I just listened?"