-1.8-

PART ONE-CHAPTER EIGHT

"Sometimes, a small step in the right direction might be the biggest step in your life

"Sometimes, a small step in the right direction might be the biggest step in your life."

                                                 ______________________________________ 

Breakfast is always a solemn affair, wherever it is- King's Landing or Winterfell. Though it took Rhea a long time to realise that it wasn't exactly the place, but the people she had it with, that made all the difference. But then again, as she always did, she unknowingly ignored the fact that stood right in front of her and chose to look at the bright side of things.

As she made her way towards the Hall to break her fast, she had thought of the castle walls, which however droll, had had some sort of life in them, because of the same reason she had mentioned above- the people that inhabited the castle.

In the two weeks that she had been here now, she had come to see that despite the lack of colours in this place, the warmhearted and kind people had given a kind of brightness that just can't be explained to someone who didn't look close enough. But since Brandon's fall, people seem to have lost their charm.

The castle had become infinitely dull, and of course, darker than usual.

She had tried making conversation with the Starks when she could, trying to alleviate the tension a bit, but to no avail. They all had been courteous enough to return her words, though their lack of enthusiasm had led her to wish them the best and give them their space.

On the contrary, Robb had welcomed her company and she had spoken to him all she could and done all that she could have done to help him and his father run Winterfell, in Lady Stark's absence. She did the accounts and helped with managing costs. They had tried to get her to sit in a corner and make herself comfortable, but she didn't want to shy away from work. She knew they appreciated the help.

Also because she was the person who has been picked to do this work later on. If she is to become Lady of Winterfell, she might as well get ready and accustomed to the work.

She got to the Hall finally and heard her uncle Tyrion's distinct voice saying, "Bread, and two of those little fish."

She followed him in and sat at the seat near Tommen and stroke his hair. "Little brother." Uncle Jaime, who was already seated there with her mother and her siblings Tom and Ella, said. "Beloved siblings." He said back and grabbed a piece of bacon from the bowl. She did too and bit into it.

"Is Bran going to die?" Myrcella asked, and Rhea turned too. She wanted to know if he would live too.

"Apparently not." he says and bites into his bacon, savagely. Her mother had a stern look on her face and appeared to be thinking. "What do you mean?" she asked. "The maester says the boy may live." and Rhea was happy and infinitely grateful to the gods for the mercy. But her mother didn't share her views. "It's no mercy letting a child linger in such pain." "Only the gods know for certain. All the rest of us can do, is pray." That was true.