-1.14-

PART ONE-CHAPTER FOURTEEN

"Happiness would lose its meaning if it is not balanced by sadness

"Happiness would lose its meaning if it is not balanced by sadness."

_______________________________________

She was on her way to her mother's chambers, feeling unusually cheery upon the prospect of meeting her mother for the first time in years now. After sending a raven with her letter to Robb, which as estimated might reach Winterfell sometime this eve, she was just eagerly waiting for Robb's response. And the fact that she and Robb don't have to stop talking even if they aren't together made her happy.

She reached the door to the chamber and was about to ask the guard to open the door, but she abruptly stopped him when she heard a little bit of the conversation, and put a finger to her lip, asking him to stay as quiet as he can.

"So you agree, the Starks are enemies." Joff's voice unmistakably.

"Anyone that isn't our family, is an enemy. And you keep your family close to you, no matter what. Remember that." Her mother said.

She then heard the footsteps coming and made her best effort to make it look like she had just arrived when Joff suddenly opened the door. "I shouldn't have snapped at you last night." he said. But before she could say anything, he turned and walked away, and Rhea couldn't help but realise that he didn't mean his apology at all.

She then went inside the chamber. " You called for me, mother?" She asked, and when her mother asked her to sit, she sat on the chair, which had some ointment on it, with a little cotton dabbed in it. Upon instinct, she reached to her mother and asked, "Are you hurt, mother?" 

But her mother just maintained a stony face and gestured for her to get back to the chair, and said "I was just cleaning Joff's wounds from the direwolf's attack. That's all, I'm fine."

"You're probably wondering why I called you." her mother said, and Rhea nodded. "I just wanted to ask you about your relationship with Robb Stark. After yesterday's events, I don't feel very safe about them, and I just want to make sure I'm not making a mistake by sending you to a place where you have nobody to trust. And of course, even Robb Stark, as chivalrous as they claim him to be, could set his direwolf on you one day, as his sister did to your brother." All this she said, without even looking at her face, but at the window behind her, which showed another tower of the castle.

Rhea wanted to point out the fact that Arya did not set her wolf on Joff, but years of experience screamed at her from the inside that it would end badly so she, for the sake of maintaining the civility in the chamber, had just agreed with her mother.

"Robb..he's not like anyone I've met before. Sure he has his own rough edges, but he's a good man, and you don't find many of those in this kingdom. He treats me better than most and is very sweet to me too. The time we spent at Winterfell has also made his family accept me into their lives, and I could tell you for sure that his direwolf likes me too. So you have no reason to worry, mother."