-1.10-

PART ONE-CHAPTER TEN

"The eyes are useless when the mind is blind

"The eyes are useless when the mind is blind."

_______________________________________

Jon paced around and around in his bedchamber. He couldn't bring himself to calm down. He had just told his 'family' that he had decided to make a huge leap in his life. He knew that he had to do this, not just to find himself, but to save himself from the guilt that he would have if he didn't, thinking of what could have been. Thinking that he had passed up the one opportunity to live a life that was completely and unmistakably his. A life story that wasn't already written for him. The bastard's story.

He had to take the black. He wanted to. And he had just told his family that.

After meeting with his Uncle Benjen at the welcoming feast, he knew that it was his calling. He knew it was the place for him. He knew that he would feel more at home than he ever would here, however he tried. He was never going to be one of them, he knew. Robb made him feel like a brother, but there are only certain heights a half brother could go to, especially when his mother doesn't approve of his actions. Catelyn might be a good mother to her children, but she wasn't his.

And now, he had just spoken to his father about his decision, and his father had not much to say to him when he found out that this was what he wanted and that nothing could change his mind. He knew that the rest of the family would support this decision too, Lady Catelyn, a little more than the others. He would miss them, but it wasn't as if he would never see them again. He could ride back once in a year or so, come visit. But there was one person that would be hell-bent on not letting him leave. Because she loves him more than anything. But not more than he loved her.

Sara. His dear sweet Sara.

He had practically grown up alongside her, what with her father Jory Cassel and her uncle Ser Rodrik both being a part of the Stark household. Sara has been an apprentice to Maester Luwin for as long as he could remember, and she learned healing from him. She wanted to be a healer one day.

He and Sara had spent a lot of time together as kids, and when he found the real hostility towards him from some parts of the family and it got overbearing, he spent every moment he could with her, just because she didn't look at him like some of the others did- with pity, guilt and sometimes, disgust. They were best friends and knew more about each other than they did themselves, and they never let the teasing get to them.

And one day, for some reason when they were fifteen, he started seeing her in a wholly different light, and a fortnight later, she kissed him. This was about one and a half years ago, and they've been hopelessly in love with each other ever since. Her blonde locks were something that he could never get used to- it was the most beautiful thing in the whole world, especially how it shone in the sunlight. He never figured out how a girl like her would want to be with a bastard like him. He only knew that he would keep her safe, with him, for life.