( CHAPTER TWO. )

chapter two.
just like my coffee

QUANTICO, VIRGINIA.

PENELOPE Garcia walked into the room like a woman on a mission. It wasn't an unusual sight, not with how busy the BAU was. She couldn't remember the last time they had a weekend off.

A full weekend.

So much for high hopes. Holding tablets (and one paper file for Spencer) and the clicker for the projector, she pushed the door open with her shoulder and set them on the table for each member of the BAU team before she took her spot at the front of the room.

"Houston, Texas. The bodies of three kids have been found, all in the same way. Our victims are Shawn Williams, Grace Richards, and Carly White. Ages are 7, 9, and 3, respectively."

She clicks the device in her hand and the screen moves to show the picture of a young boy and two young girls, one black and one white.

"They were found strangled, but fully dressed and buried with flowers surrounding them." Penelope says.

"Autopsy reports they were killed five days after being reported missing. Carly White is the most recent victim, as her body was found a day ago, and she was kidnapped two days after Grace's body was found." Spencer murmurs. "Same with Grace. She was kidnapped two days after Shawn Williams's body was found."

"The unsub is crossing racial and gender lines." Hotch says. "We've got 24 hours before the unsub finds another victim to kidnap. Wheels up in thirty."

· · ·

HOUSTON, TEXAS.

ROSALIE Salvatore was pressing a coffee pot back in place for the sixth time that morning. The chain that held her badge around her neck and against her yellow blazer and purple tank top. Her head raised, causing her curls to bounce before she heard the door open and she grabbed her cup of lukewarm coffee and sighed as she walked back to her office.

She left the door open, taking a long sip of the liquid from her mug that was covered in flowers before she set it down on the corner of her desk before she looked at the files before her.

Carly White, Grace Richards, Shawn Williams... They were from different socioeconomic backgrounds, Grace was a different race, and they were difrerent ages but regardless, they were all kids.

She couldn't help but look at the picture of her nephew in the corner of her desk and then her mind thought of her sister, his mother he had never met because of her death. She rubbed her temple with her index and middle finger, sighing as her captain knocked on the door.