( CHAPTER FOUR. )

chapter four
mistakes

"ROSIE!" A little boy yelled, no older than four

"ROSIE!" A little boy yelled, no older than four. Rosalie stopped the car as her nephew jumped off the curb and ran towards the driver's door as she got out.

"Hola, Marco." Rosalie spoke as she walked over to his teacher, Miss Evelyn and thanked her for watching him an hour later than usual. By this point, Marco had thrown his arms around Rosalie's legs, squeezing them as he buried his face in her thighs. She ran a hand through his hair as he pulled away from her legs before Rosalie slightly narrowed her eyes. "Where's Nehavah?"

"I'm right here," the fourteen year old girl replied from the curb. "I had to go to the bathroom." She however bites into a granola bar and her older sister rolls her eyes. 

"I thought I called you and told you no snacking."

"Oh, is that what you said? It sounded like you were going through a tunnel, so I didn't get that message." Nehavah replies, before she bounces towards Rosalie's car. At this point, Derek's out the car, and he stands slightly to the side of the curb, before he walks over to Rose. Startled by the man, Nehavah raised a brow.

"Uh... Rose?"

The detective rolled her eyes again before she smiled a little, and Derek liked the way her smile genuinely met her eyes, before she began to introduce them. "Derek, this is my younger sister, Nehavah, and this is my nephew, Marco. Marco, Nehavah, this is Supervisory Special Agent Derek Morgan. He's working with me on a case."

"Like a partner?" Marco questions. "Cool!"

"Hi," Derek smiles and Rosalie swears her heart jumps out of her chest when he squats down and shakes Marco's hand before he stands to shake Nehavah's hand and the teenager's face goes a deep red in embarrassment. Derek releases a chuckle as he lets go of the younger girl's hand before Rosalie waved a hand. Marco is still fawning over the fact that Derek looks strong and cool.

In all honesty, he wasn't wrong.

"Alright, in the car." She chuckles a little, moving to push the backseat down before she lets her sister get in first, and then her nephew, who has to be hooked into his carseat.

"I can get the seat, Rose," Derek tells her before he tends to push it back into place, and then stands up and turns, not realizing how close he was to her, and feels her hands startledly press against his chest before they slightly relax against the fabric of his t-shirt (her hands are warm, but cooler than his skin causing he sighs softly from the contact), and looks down at her as she turns a deep red, her hands pulling away.

"Lo siento! Sorry!" Rosalie says, growing flustered as she dropped her head and tucked her hair behind her ear, walking over to the driver's side of the car. After lingering beside the door for a few moments, she pulled open the door and sat down in the seat.