School

Lilly's POV

     I followed the tangerine lady down a dark hallway to my 'new room'. Usually in the hallway walls of a normal home their would be precious  pictures of family members all along the walls, indicating a healthy loving family.

   But no not this home, the hallway walls were barren, no photographs only the blue plad wallpaper that was faded and peeling off. Missing blotches of the wallpaper were all over the wall like someone had peeled it off. I can understand why it's a horrible wallpaper.

             We walked past a closed door and then another. Only the sound of the wheels from my suitcase rolling on the wooden floor to fill in the silence.

     "Okay Connie here's your room"
She finally stopped at a faded white door. She took out her ring of keys that held about 20 keys and shoved a green one into the lock. They jingled in the process and i couldn't stop myself from feeling concerned and cringing when she called the new name i was given.

       She turned the nob with her long pink fake nails. But the door wouldn't open. So like a footballer she put her shoulder against the door and with one hand turning the nob she pushed.

         When that wouldn't work. I saw an opportunity to be a kind person "i can do it" i told her.

    She stopped what she was doing and looked me in the eyes. Her dry lips curved into an even deeper frown.

    "You can do it?" she questioned me and placed her hands on her hips, leaning on one foot.

    By the look in her eyes and the twitchs of her frown. I could tell i had said something wrong.

    "Yes. . ." i added, it was too late to back down now.

   But to my surprise she slightly smiled and backed away from the door.

  "okay okay go for it" she encouraged me. But i didn't believe it, her eyes were holding back a bit of rage and i kept imagining as soon as i turn my back she's going to stab me with a kitchen knife, hidden behind her.

         I looked over my shoulder twice before pushing. I expected the door to be like stone, but it flew Open with about as much strength I use to open the peanut butter jar. I stumbled inside, tripping on own feet.

   And to my  horror the same ugly blue plaid wallpaper was waiting for me.

         The room was about as big as my closet back home. An old wooden bookshelf with 2 books on the dusty shelf was in one corner and just a bed matress was in the other. I hesitantly walked forward and instantly regretted it the room reeked of cat pee.

        Their was one small square window between the matress and bookshelf and i let out a breath of relief when my eyes landed on it.

      "I  was plannin to bunk you with your sister but. . . i wassnt aware of how grown you'd be. So this is the best we have" she croaked like a frog, and it made me wonder if she used to smoke.

      I was trying to breath very little air. Because the smell was just horrible, i looked up at my foster parent, her orange skin was saggy like an old leather chair that's been worn out. Her droopy brown eyes with dark eyebags underneath and smudged neon blue eyeshadow ontop made me cring. Layer over layers of mascara faned her eyes. And her mouth was a permanent frown like the outline of round door.

    And i smiled, showing my gratitude to her, for offering her magnificent home to an orphan child. She left me alone to unpack my stuff, which was ridiculous because she knows as much as I do that there is no where to put my stuff.