two

Tobias closes the door after Evelyn walks out, just as I plop down on the couch. Auggie runs over to me and jumps on the couch too. I scratch behind his ears and he licks my chin, making a laugh bubble up from my stomach. He steps on top of me as Tobias sits down on the other side of Auggie.

Once Auggie gets tired of Tobias and I petting him, he leaps off the couch and lays down on his bed next to the TV stand. I scoot closer to Tobias and he wraps an arm around my back. He pushes a piece of hair behind my ear as I look up at him.

Tobias is leaving tomorrow for spring training in Arizona. He's really excited to get this season going, but I'm going to miss him like crazy. It's a little over a month I think, and that's really not a long time. I know.

Anyway, today is Monday, and the weekend with Evelyn was really fun. We went to Navy Pier on Saturday and just walked around and ate delicious food and played games.

I should be at school today, but I took the day off because I have a doctors appointment at two, and Evelyn was leaving late this morning and I wanted to say goodbye without being in a rush. Also, it's Tobias's last day and I wanted to spend it with him.

We're going to dinner tonight with the gang at that burger place we used to go to a lot, since we haven't been there in forever we all thought it would be a perfect place to go for dinner.

Tobias runs his thumb over my bottom lip before he finally kisses me. I smile into the kiss, unable to hold it back. He pulls back, but only a few centimeters.

"What do you want for lunch?" he asks, before quickly pecking the tip of my nose and standing up. I grab his hands, lacing our fingers as I stand up too.

"Surprise me," I answer, moving one of my hands to the back of his neck before I press my lips to his.
▻ ▻ ▻ ▻ ▻
Not long after lunch, Tobias and I head down to the clinic for my appointment. When we walk into the office, I quickly check in with the receptionist and Tobias and I sit down in the waiting area. My right hand settles on my stomach, and Tobias messes with my left one, like he always does when we come here. I let out a small giggle when he kisses my knuckle.

"Alright, Tris we're ready for you. Come on back," the nurse, Grace says, as she walks into the waiting room. Tobias and I follow her into one of the rooms, where I stand on a scale so they can measure my weight. I sit down on the bed with my legs dangling over the edge, and Tobias sits in the chair as Grace starts speaking again.

"How're ya feeling, Tris?" she asks.

"I'm good, just little tired though," I answer, crossing and uncrossing my ankles over and over again.

Grace asks more questions for a few minutes until Dr. Stevens walks in. She closes the door after her and takes a clipboard from Grace.

"Thanks, Grace. How are you guys doing?" Dr. Stevens asks.

"Good," Tobias and I say at the same time. I look over at him and smile.

"That's good," she comments, concentrating more on the paper on the clipboard and less on our answer. "Well everything looks great, Tris. We'll just take a quick look at the heartbeat and then get you guys out of here."

I lift up my shirt so that my stomach is exposed and lay back on the bed. Dr. Stevens spreads ultrasound gel all over my stomach so they can use a Doppler to hear my baby's heartbeat. She moves the thing around my belly for a bit before she finally finds the loud, steady beat.

Tobias reaches for my hand and I intertwine our fingers, grinning. We all listen for another minute or so, then Dr. Stevens hands me a couple paper towels to wipe off the gel on my stomach. I'm still beaming as I pull my shirt back over my now clean belly and sit up.