seven

When Tobias came home the next day, I didn't even hear him walk through the door. It's probably pretty easy to imagine how startled I was when he wrapped his arms around me from behind, while I was occupied with making my lunch. So, for scaring the shit out of me, I whipped around and smacked him on the shoulder.

"Don't do that!" I exclaim and Tobias just laughs, leaning against the island. After hitting him once more, I turn back to my lunch that's cooking on the stove. He places a kiss right behind my ear and then peers over my shoulder to see what I'm cooking.

"Did you make me any?" he asks, kissing me on the temple this time.

"No, because you didn't tell me when you'd be home," I remark, taking the pan off the stove and putting my chicken parmesan on a plate. As I set the plate on the counter, Tobias gently grabs my shoulders and turns me around. He then pulls me into a hug, and I relax in his embrace.

"I'm sorry," Tobias murmurs. "I'll let you know when I'll be home from now on."

"You better," I reply into his chest, taking in his clean smell. Tobias pulls back just enough to be able to lean down and kiss me. Kissing back eagerly, I place both of my hands on each side of his torso. With his hands cupping my face, he creates just a few centimeters of space between us and I grin at him. My face is smushed by his hands and the sight makes Tobias chuckle. He pecks me on the lips once more before bending over to the height of my belly and places a kiss off-center. Tobias then walks past me toward the cupboard with the bowls and then into the pantry to grab some cereal. He comes out and places both the bowl and box of cereal on the counter before pulling the milk from the fridge. After pouring Cinnamon Toast Crunch in his bowl and following it up with milk, Tobias moves to the other side of the island so he can sit on a stool.

Tobias is sitting directly across from where I'm standing, so as I look him dead in the eyes as I take a bite of my chicken. He glances up from his bowl of cereal and I raise my eyebrows. His eyes immediately widen in response to the realization that were currently in the middle of a staring contest. I want to laugh, but I'm somehow able to keep my face straight. As soon as Tobias's eyes narrow, I know that I've won, and sure enough, he blinks. Letting out a laugh, I raise my arms up in victory.

Once I finish off the last few bites of my chicken parm, I set the plate in the sink and run around the island to Tobias. I throw my arms around his neck and he instinctively wraps his arms around my torso. He pulls me in as close as possible, and it makes me happy now that he's home for awhile and I can be in his arms again.

Later, after I crawled into bed with comfy shorts and one of Tobias's old t-shirts, Tobias walks through the bathroom door only wearing shorts and his glasses. I grin at the sight and motion for him to come to the bed. Running over, he jumps on the bed and throws his hand around to the back of my head to pull me in for a kiss. My hands find his face, and then wrap around his neck. His smile breaks up the kiss and prompts another of my own. He collapses next to me, but soon after he sits up and drapes an arm over my shoulders.

I lift my shirt up so that my whole belly is exposed, and lightly push on the left side. Our baby's foot digs into the spot, and I lightly wince. Tobias lightly kisses the top of my head and I smile.

"We should talk about names," I say.

"Okay," he agrees, "what names do you like?"

"I've always liked Mason, but that was the name of that little shit from my class two years ago," shrugging as I answer.

"Yeah that kid was an asshole," Tobias responds and we both laugh.

"Which ones do you like, babe?" I ask, turning more towards him.