ten

Apart from the beeping machines and the TV, the room is silent. Tobias is sleeping next to me, he was somehow able to squeeze onto the tiny bed and keep it comfortable for both of us. My parents are also here, we called them on the way to the hospital and they showed up not long after we did. They're both asleep on the bench seat by the window, and I have no doubt they're both in very uncomfortable positions.

It's the middle of the night, and I should be sleeping, but it's as close to impossible as you could get. So, I've just been laying here watching How I Met Your Mother and trying not to wake the others up.

Soon, Dr. Stevens walks through the door, returning for a little check up she does every couple of hours. I nudge Tobias and he slowly wakes up, covering his mouth with his hand as he yawns. Mom and Dad stir in the corner and start to wake up. Tobias then sits up and eventually stands, waiting for Dr. Stevens to finish up her examination. She smiles when she's done, standing up and throwing her gloves into the trash can.

"Good news, Tris," she says. "You're about six centimeters now, and I think it's a good time to get you that epidural you've been wanting. I'll get the anesthesiologist in here pretty quick."

"Thank you," I reply as she walks out the door. Then another contraction hits and I pray that the anesthesiologist gets here fast like she said. Tobias grabs my hand and runs his fingers through my hair until it passes. I fall back into the pillows and Tobias sits on the bed again.

Thankfully the anesthesiologist after about ten minutes. I throw my hair up into a bun and sit with my legs dangling off the side of the bed as he instructed. Tobias sits in a chair in front of me, holding both of my hands. The doctor gives me a smaller shot to numb the little area on my back where the epidural needle is going. He tells me to take deep, even breaths as he inserts the big needle into my back. I grip Tobias's hands tightly, and then it's over before I know it.

"Okay, good job. You should be feeling better in no time," the anesthesiologist says, packing up some of his stuff and tossing some in the trash.

"Thank you so much," I breathe out, smiling as he leaves the room. Tobias presses his lips to my forehead as he stands up.

"Your dad and I are going to try to find something to eat in the cafeteria," Tobias says. "Do you want anything?" The question is obviously a joke, because he knows I'm not supposed to eat anything, so I roll my eyes and glare at him.

"No, I would not like anything. Thank you for asking," I playfully retort. Tobias just chuckles and leans over to kiss me on the lips.

Tobias and Dad walk out of the room, so not it's just me and Mom. She moves from the bench by the window to the chair Tobias was sitting in a minute ago.

"I hate this," I start. "Not being able to eat, or walk around now."

Grabbing my hand, she says, "Yeah, but it's all worth it in the end." I try to say something but she starts talking again. "And yes, I know you're the most impatient person on the planet, don't forget that I raised you."

"This just seems like the longest day of my life," I sigh, leaning back into the pillows.

"Yeah, but just think about it. You'll be holding your little boy in your arms in a few hours. Isn't that exciting?" she exclaims.

"And terrifying at the same time," I mutter, but it's still loud enough for her to hear me.

"Sweetheart our bodies are made for this." She continues with the recitation of the miracle of childbirth.

I cut her off halfway through it. "Mom— Mom, stop!" I giggle, clutching my belly.

"I knew I could make you laugh," she says after I've calmed down.