Chapter 15 - What do you mean?

Harry stilled in shock, terrified that he had been caught not only out of the hall during the welcoming feast, but also spying on teachers, so a sigh of pure relief filled him when he saw the Weasley twins staring down at him. "What you up to Harry?" Fred questioned, rocking on the balls of his feet and smirking, at the third year. "Snooping on the teachers are we? Following good ol' Minnie?" George continued, not even giving Harry the chance to answer. "We've done that loads, she doesn't do many interesting things mind you..." Fred trailed off peering round the corner. "Exactly what Fred said, but disappearing in the middle of the feast, now that has to be something new! Obviously we couldn't pass up on this opportunity!" George laughed. "I..., I just... I wanted to ask Professor Mcgonagall... a transfiguration question?" Harry tried to say with confidence, but it came out more like a question. The two redheads laughed, not believing that he was seriously trying to use education as an excuse. "Harry, you're like a brother to us" one of them started, "We often even prefer you to Ron" the other continued, "So do you really believe that we" "Would believe that excuse?"

Harry watched as Fred and George finished each others thoughts, as they always did, praying that they would keep their voices down, in fear one of the teachers would catch them. The twins clearly did not see his uncomfort, or chose to ignore it as they continued with their interrogation. The twins seemed not to mind that Harry was not taking part in the conversation and seem to diverge off onto a tangent about all of the pranks they had done during the welcoming feast each year. Harry wondered if he would be able to walk away whilst the twins were rambling on, but knew that soon they would expect him to contribute, yet before that moment they heard Percy's pompous voice "First years this way! Follow me!"

Minerva heard the commotion around the corner as the Gryffindors headed towards them on the way to the common room. She took Lupin's arm and dragged him into the hospital wing before the entirety of Gryffindor house descended upon them. They walked over to Cassadee's bedside and watched her sleep. Minerva had an affectionate smile as she stared down at her former student, knowing that she would be okay, awake again within a few hours. She knew that she would have to take leave and go to speak the the new Gryffindor students in the common room soon, yet she couldn't bare to see the back of the two sitting in front of her.

Remus sat in the chair that had appeared by his friends side and looked up at his former professor. He knew, from his seven years of schooling, that she would have to go to the common room to make her head of house speech but he could sense her hesitance. "McGonagall..." he tried, in vain, to get her attention. "Minnie" he tried again, using the nickname that the other marauders had used for her during their school years, knowing she always had a soft spot for the name. This seemed to work as Minerva snapped out of her reverie and turned towards him. "She'll be fine. You heard Pomfrey." He reassured her, "I'll be here until she wakes up, she will have someone here who cares for her."

"I would never doubt that Remus, not with you here, but yet I can't keep a peace of mind to leave her." Minerva admitted.

"We both know you must go and make your speech. Otherwise you are neglecting your duties as head of Gryffindor house. Plus... we can't let any first years get into trouble. Especially on their first night." Remus laughed, lightening the atmosphere of the situation.

Minerva laughed as she recalled the first day of term all those years ago. She bid goodbye to Poppy and Remus as she took one last glance at Cassadee and left towards the Gryffindor common room. She remembered doing this walk over twenty years ago, preparing herself to already reprimand three students in her house before they were even to spend one night in their new home. She knew that she would have to be stern with them, yet she was amused by the idea that students were already in trouble before they actually arrived at the castle. She hoped that this speech would not be as eventful as that one, yet with the announcement she had to make, she knew that this would not happen.

Once she reached the portrait that concealed the entrance to the room, Minerva greeted the lady guarding it, before uttering "Fortuna Major" and being granted access. Percy Weasley had already gathered the entirety of the house into the room, meaning that it was very crowded and lively, yet once she stepped into the room silence swept over all of them. Well all except five students that were crowded around each other on the seats near the fire.

Once back in the common room, Hermione and Ron joined the twins interrogation of Harry, as to why he had left part way through the feast. They pulled him over to the sofas and waited impatiently for his answers. "I just wanted to ask McGonagall a question." He insisted, trying to prolong answering until the twins, and the rest of the house, were no longer in earshot. "So is that what you call spying nowadays? Asking questions? That's good to know isn't it Fred?" George asked, smirking at his brother. The rambled on, trying and failing to get more information out of him, until they heard an irritated cough from behind them.

Minerva smiled slightly at the anics of the students, but quickly replaced it with a stern scowl at them before coughing to gain their attention. The twins turned to face her before getting up and walking towards her with mischief in their eyes. Before they were able to cause antics, McGonagall addressed them "Mr Weasley, Mr Weasley" nodding at them, "Not this year as well" she threatened in a quieter voice, tinged with amusement, before she began addressing the entire room. "Welcome back to Hogwarts to all of the previous students, and to the first years, Welcome to Gryffindor house. This is to be your family for your next seven years so I hope you settle in well. I believe that Dumbledore already went over the most important rules, and Mr Weasley, head boy, went over the rest on your way up." She glanced at the seventh year, seeing his nod, before she continued on. "Your trunks have already been placed in your dorms and you shall find that your robes have been altered to display Gryffindor colours. These are to be worn every weekday during term time, any student out of uniform can expect to have points taken from their house and may even be placed in detention." She finished addressing only the first years and returned her focus to all of the students in the room. "Now as you all heard, we have three new professors joining us this year, many of you already know Mr Hagrid who will be taking over the care of magical creatures position, and we have two new professors that will be taking up the joint position of running your defence against the dark arts lessons. Mr Lupin and Miss Potter. I am sure that you will meet them yourself so that they all can do their own introductions. Have a good night." With that, Minerva turned and began to walk towards the exit. SHe was almost out when she heard Harry Potter calling "Professor!"

Harry sat between his best friends and listened to Professor McGonagall's speech, glad that they were no longer able to question him, at least for a couple of minutes. He was mostly lost in his thoughts about the man on the train until he heard three names. He recognised Hagrid's, but this was not the one that shocked him, neither was "Lupin" which he guessed was the man from the train, that he was so curious about earlier. Yet the name that made him stand up when his head of house began to leave was "Potter". He knew that this could just be a coincidence, that there was a chance that she just happened to have the same last name as him, but something inside him knew that this was not true. He wanted answers, he needed them, he was so confused and had been since the dementors first showed up. His friends seemed as confused and called after him as he pushed his way through other students after the Professor, but he didn't hear them. He had to know. "Professor. What do you mean by Miss Potter?" Harry basically shouted, to ensure that she would hear him.

McGonagall froze as she was almost out of the room. She knew that she would have to answer his question, she thought that she would be able to escape before he could ask, but here she was, stuck in the exact situation she wanted to avoid. "Get to bed Potter. You have a day full of lessons tomorrow, a lot to learn." She hoped that that would have worked, but knew that he was just as curious as his relatives and she wouldn't be able to get away now. But then to her luck, Miss Granger and the youngest Mr Weasley walked over and grabbed Potter, walking him back to the sofa, allowing her to get away.