Chapter 18 - Curious History

Note From the Author

This is a replacement of an update I posted, not realising until now (just posted Chapter 24)that the chapter was not posted with it. Many apologies.

Chapter 18 - Curious History

After the feast, the students were hurried out of the hall and towards their separate common rooms. The three first years did not return to the feast after they had ran out, but quickly joined into the herd of Gryffindors on the way to the tower. By this time Cassadee had mainly calmed down but she was still slightly shaken. James still had his arm around her shoulder to ensure that she knew he was there even if he was currently talking to Sirius. He knew that she did not want him to suffocate her by constantly talking, all she needed right now was to know that he was there, that he would always be there.

Remus constantly looked at the doors to the hall during the feast, hoping that they would open and his three new friends would walk back through the door and join them. He occasionally joined in the conversation that Peter was having but mainly let the shy boy ramble on, his mind not fully focused. Lily Evans was as out of it as Remus, she would normally be talking to everyone at the table, getting to know the people that are supposed to be her 'family' for the next seven years. She felt too embarrassed and uncomfortable to talk to anyone else there. She turned to look at the two other boys that remained in the seats next to the now three empty spaces.

"I'm sorry." she spoke to them, "I didn't know that she would react like that." Even though she sounded sincere, the way that this apology was worded had annoyed Remus, she was trying to blame this on Cassadee, make everything seem to be her fault. "That's because you don't know her." Remus replied shortly at the same time Peter muttered "It's alright." Lily smiled at the shorter one and then looked down to her plate, ignoring the words from the other. Peter looked to Remus, "But.. you don't know her either." He said to his friend, trying not to upset him further. Remus wanted to fight back, to have a good argument, make his point, "You're.... You're right Peter" Remus admitted, "I just couldn't let her try and blame it all on Cassadee you know?"

"I get it Remus. You were just defending our friend and that's completely understandable, I just think you should apologise to being that blunt with that other girl, she was only trying to be nice." Peter squeaked. That was the most that he had spoken since he had arrived on the platform. He was already feeling comfortable around the group of the people that he had met on the train, which was surprising considering how meekly he usually acted.

After the feast, Lily was following the group of Gryffindors to the common room, she made sure that she could always see the prefect that was leading them through the corridors and was trying to memorise the layout to ensure that she could get back to the great hall the next morning. She had managed to push the incident further back in her mind, the forefront taken up by the beauty of the castle around her. She had decided during dinner that when they had gotten to the dorms, she would see how Cassadee was before going to approach her. Lily didn't want to upset the girl anymore and didn't know the boundaries that the other girl wanted to have between her and other people. She really wanted to apologise to her, to try and settle any uneasiness between them, but she knew that after the incident on the boat with Sev that there would be something in between them.

Severus was not at all concerned when Cassadee ran out of the hall, he sat smirking, glad that she was getting what she deserved.