Chapter Twenty-Three: Finding Family in the Strangest of Places

Disclaimer: Don't own though wish I did.

A/N: Things are slowly starting to look up and hopefully I will be able to start writing more.

Chapter Twenty-Three: Finding Family in the Strangest of Places

Severus was beyond shocked and the only thing that was registering in his mind was that some where some how his son was a descendant of Salazar Slytherin. But that was neither here nor now and he forced himself to stop thinking about that and focused on the fact that Daylan was still curled up in a tiny ball in Draco's arms.

He bent down and scooped up both Draco and Daylan. He glanced behind him at the portrait and decided that he would come back down at another time and find out what the painting had said to his son that would scare him so much and cause such a set back in Daylan's emotional healing.

Jocelyn saw that both boys were fine and knew that she needed to go and let Albus know that they had found them.

"Severus, I am going to head back to Albus's office and let him know that the boys are alright."

Severus nodded his head, "I am going to take them back down to my quarters, if Lucius and Narcissa are here just bring them down."

Jocelyn ran her hands through Draco's hair and scratched Daylan behind his ear and then headed back up the corridor towards the Headmasters office.

Draco looked up at his godfather and wondered if he and Daylan were in trouble for wondering off and getting lost. "Uncle Sev?" Draco whispered.

Severus looked down at Draco. " What is it?"

Draco took a shuddering breath and tried to keep his eyes from tearing up, "We aren't going to get a spanking are we?"

Severus smiled slightly, "No Draco. But I think that you and Daylan are going to be spending a lot of time in my quarters instead of wandering around unsupervised."

Draco let out the breath that he had been holding in relief. He hugged puppy Daylan and whispered in his ear, " I told you that we were going to be alright and that your daddy would find us."

Severus smiled when he heard Draco's whispered comment. It was then that Daylan decided he was safe enough to change back and it was only with Severus's quick reflexes that saved both boys from tumbling to the ground.

Daylan buried his head in his Severus's shoulder and started sobbing. Severus sat Draco down on the floor so that he could get a better hold on Daylan. "Sh... Sh..., It's alright. I've got you now." Severus said to the sobbing boy as he rubbed comforting circles on his back.

Daylan still crying whispered into Severus's ear, "Daddy I thought that we were going to be lost forever and then that snake in the picture talked to me and it scared me."

Severus was shocked, had Daylan just said that the snake had talked to him? " Do you mean that the man with the snake talked to you and scared you?" he asked the still trembling boy.

Daylan shook his head, "No, not the man the snake. It blinked when I was looking at it and then it started to talk to me and it scared me with the hissing cause it sounds like the bad man in my dreams."

Severus was beyond startled; his son was a parselmouth, a magical trait that only one other in the wizarding world had. Voldemort. This put more credence toward the probability that Daylan was a descendent of Salazar Slytherin.

The three of them had finally reached the Headmasters gargoyle when they were rushed at by Narcissa and Lucius and then met by a more sedately Albus and Jocelyn.

Draco was scooped up into his mother's arms. Draco looked at his father and smiled. " I did what you told me to daddy. When we got lost we stopped and stayed right where we were and waited for uncle Sev or somebody to find us. And then Daylan got scared because some picture talked to him and he screamed and it scared me too and we were so scared daddy..." Draco trailed off remembering how scared he and Daylan were.