Captain to Captain

Somehow I made it back to the ship in time for coffee. Unfortunately for me, I did not have time to get rid of my jacket. Or my shoes. Or anything to make it look like I had stayed on the ship.

Law crossed his arms, leaning against the wall. All the lights were on in the dining room and kitchen. "Did you find them?"

"No." I mumbled. My back itched and burned and my legs were lead weights. I flumped down in the nearest chair and buried my head in my arms. "Found Yan, though."

He sighed and sat across from me and leaned forward. "Your Haki is nearly depleted. What happened?"

I shook my head. What was I going to say? That we argued about Mom, just like always? That he asked me about Serina? And then of course, I would have to explain why I traveled with a Celestial Dragon and how I hadn't been physically branded. Captain Speckle wouldn't be satisfied with 'I traded services for safe passage'. I just didn't have the energy.

"Nothing out of the ordinary for us." I could feel Law's sharp eyes watching for any sign of dishonesty. I felt a bit guilty for sneaking away. Ungrateful bitch. "Sorry."

"Good." I was too tired to wince at the sharp, angry tone. "I told you to stay on the ship. You disobeyed a direct order."

"I know." Obstinate child. "I'm sorry."

Law's arua shifted. He stepped up beside me and moved my arms to put the back of his hand on my forehead. He was pleasantly cool, but the touch was still painful. Until that moment, I hadn't noticed how uncomfortable my clothes were. They seemed to rub and chafe in the worst way.

He hummed in annoyance. "You have a small fever. I knew there was a reason you were so civil. We'll discuss the consequences tomorrow."

I sighed and climbed to my feet. The ground swam in an unfocused haze. I had to take a half step to stop myself from falling.

"Come here." Law's hand gripped my upper arm and hauled me against his chest.

My legs gave out completely. The last thing I remembered was a pained sigh as Law picked me up. Then my head lolled, eyes closed, and the darkness drug me under.

/-/-/-/

Andromeda's fever hadn't broken by the next morning, and her Haki wasn't replenishing. It was strange, but not altogether worrying. Considering the recent events, it was a wonder the stress hadn't made her sick before now. She also mentioned that she ran into Yan before making her way back home. I could only assume that he was the one she normally pit her strange Haki up against, so her Haki being depleted wasn't surprising.

Knowing that no matter how sorry she said she was, Andromeda was likely to leave the ship by herself again was frustrating, especially when she was unarmed. That needed to change.

Bepo hummed as he walked behind me, swaying from side to side. "Do you think Ikkaku and Andromeda will fall in love?"

I smirked at the idea. Ikkaku was certainly smitten with Andromeda, but the newest Heart Pirate seemed completely oblivious. "I don't know about that, Bepo. The tomato is a bit dense."

It didn't seem to deter him at all. I could practically see flowers blooming behind his head. "Andromeda will get it. I think they're cute together."

I wasn't about to disagree. Besides, with Ikkaku looking out for Andromeda, I didn't have to worry about her as much. At least while they were together. It was a bit harder to have confidence when I had to wonder if the tomato was going to wander off. I needed to put a hard stop to that.

"Trafalgar Water Law." An amused voice cut above the street chatter.

I paused and turned to face him. He leaned back against a light pole. He was slightly taller than me, with black and silver hair and a full, neatly trimmed beard and mustache. Dark eyes were cold and distant.